* Automatically detecting spam on gmane newsgroups
@ 2003-03-25 16:15 Sridhar Boovaraghavan
From: Sridhar Boovaraghavan @ 2003-03-25 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

I subscribe to the BBDB newsgroup/mailing-list which seems to have
fallen in the hands of spammers. I notice from the headers that the
spam is crossposted to gmane.spam.detected.

How can I automatically mark such articles as read? I am using CVS
gnus in Emacs 21.2.95.

Thanks,
Sridhar
--
Sridhar Boovaraghavan

* Re: Automatically detecting spam on gmane newsgroups
@ 2003-03-25 22:54 ` Jon Ericson
From: Jon Ericson @ 2003-03-25 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sridhar Boovaraghavan <sridhar_ml@yahoo.com> writes:

> I subscribe to the BBDB newsgroup/mailing-list which seems to have
> fallen in the hands of spammers.

It's really awful isn't it?

> I notice from the headers that the spam is crossposted to
> gmane.spam.detected.

Thank goodness. :)

> How can I automatically mark such articles as read? I am using CVS
> gnus in Emacs 21.2.95.

In the summary buffer, put the cursor over a cross posted message, and
type Lxep.  Edit the string down to gmane.spam.detected.  This will
add an entry to your ~/News/all.SCORE, which you could edit.  No doubt
there are other ways to do this.

Jon
--
  My frame was not hidden from you
    when I was made in the secret place.

* Re: Automatically detecting spam on gmane newsgroups
@ 2003-03-26  0:24   ` Ami Fischman
From: Ami Fischman @ 2003-03-26  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jon Ericson <Jon.Ericson@jpl.nasa.gov> writes:

[...]

> In the summary buffer, put the cursor over a cross posted message, and
> type Lxep.  Edit the string down to gmane.spam.detected.  This will
> add an entry to your ~/News/all.SCORE, which you could edit.  No doubt
> there are other ways to do this.

"Lxep" modifies the group-specific file
~/News/nntp+gmane.org:gmane.emacs.bbdb.user.SCORE
which the OP can then use to make an all.SCORE file that will apply to all
groups (at least that's what happened in my setup, which is otherwise
exclusively adaptive-scoring-based).

Cheers,
--
  Ami Fischman
  usenet@fischman.org

* Re: Automatically detecting spam on gmane newsgroups
@ 2003-03-29 11:33 ` Andreas Fuchs
From: Andreas Fuchs @ 2003-03-29 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2003-03-25, Sridhar Boovaraghavan <sridhar_ml@yahoo.com> wrote:
> How can I automatically mark such articles as read? I am using CVS
> gnus in Emacs 21.2.95.

I have this in my ~/News/all.SCORE:

 ("xref"
  ("gmane.spam.detected" -99999 nil r))

This should do it. Does for me, at least. (-:

Have fun,
--
Andreas Fuchs, <asf@acm.org>, asf@jabber.at, antifuchs
irc.freenode.net's #emacs - online emacs advice from IRC addicts