* Current state of gnus-cloud?
@ 2018-06-05 16:42 Jason L Tibbitts III
From: Jason L Tibbitts III @ 2018-06-05 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I'm running emacs 26.1 now and though the gnus version doesn't seem to
have changed (stil 5.13), I'd like to ask if there's been any work done
on the sync server/gnus-cloud/whatever it's called now.  Is it something
that I should be able to use without too much pain at this point?

 - J<

* Re: Current state of gnus-cloud?
@ 2018-10-08  0:48 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2018-10-08  0:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tue, 05 Jun 2018 11:42:01 -0500 Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs@math.uh.edu> wrote:

JLT> I'm running emacs 26.1 now and though the gnus version doesn't seem to
JLT> have changed (stil 5.13), I'd like to ask if there's been any work done
JLT> on the sync server/gnus-cloud/whatever it's called now.  Is it something
JLT> that I should be able to use without too much pain at this point?

Hi Jason,

sorry for the late reply.

I use it to upload my newsrc and it works all right.

Ted

* Re: Current state of gnus-cloud?
@ 2018-10-08 17:02   ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2018-10-08 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> On Tue, 05 Jun 2018 11:42:01 -0500 Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs@math.uh.edu> wrote:
>
> JLT> I'm running emacs 26.1 now and though the gnus version doesn't seem to
> JLT> have changed (stil 5.13), I'd like to ask if there's been any work done
> JLT> on the sync server/gnus-cloud/whatever it's called now.  Is it something
> JLT> that I should be able to use without too much pain at this point?
>
> Hi Jason,
>
> sorry for the late reply.
>
> I use it to upload my newsrc and it works all right.

Out of curiosity -- I'd always thought it was a bad idea to share
newsrc.eld files between machines, as the article numbers aren't
guaranteed to be the same between them. Is that not an issue for you?

Eric

* Re: Current state of gnus-cloud?
@ 2018-10-11 20:59     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2018-10-11 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Mon, 08 Oct 2018 10:02:11 -0700 Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> wrote:

EA> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

>> I use it to upload my newsrc and it works all right.

EA> Out of curiosity -- I'd always thought it was a bad idea to share
EA> newsrc.eld files between machines, as the article numbers aren't
EA> guaranteed to be the same between them. Is that not an issue for you?

Across NNTP servers it works. You can choose backends to synchronize, so
NNTP makes sense but nnrss nnml etc. probably wouldn't.

(The gnus-cloud format is like a multipart message, and the article sync
is just one use case. You can sync files and any kind of data through it.)

Ted

* Re: Current state of gnus-cloud?
@ 2018-10-11 22:10       ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2018-10-11 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> On Mon, 08 Oct 2018 10:02:11 -0700 Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> wrote:
>
> EA> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>
>>> I use it to upload my newsrc and it works all right.
>
> EA> Out of curiosity -- I'd always thought it was a bad idea to share
> EA> newsrc.eld files between machines, as the article numbers aren't
> EA> guaranteed to be the same between them. Is that not an issue for you?
>
> Across NNTP servers it works. You can choose backends to synchronize, so
> NNTP makes sense but nnrss nnml etc. probably wouldn't.

Interesting, I was confused then. I only have nntp and nnimap servers, I
might try gnus-cloud for the nntp server.

Thanks,
Eric

* Re: Current state of gnus-cloud?
@ 2018-10-29 16:14   ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2018-10-29 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> On Tue, 05 Jun 2018 11:42:01 -0500 Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs@math.uh.edu> wrote:
JLT> I'm running emacs 26.1 now and though the gnus version doesn't seem to
JLT> have changed (stil 5.13), I'd like to ask if there's been any work done
JLT> on the sync server/gnus-cloud/whatever it's called now.  Is it something
JLT> that I should be able to use without too much pain at this point?

> I use it to upload my newsrc and it works all right.

I tried using gnus cloud back in August 2016, but it stranded on some
unresolved problemsback then:

I guess now it's time to try again...? :-)

What version of emacs would I need to get a working gnus cloud?

I'm currently on emacs 25, is that too old?