* sgnus-0.32 + tm-7.41.1 == problems
@ 1996-02-01 18:23 Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1996-02-01 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I'm trying to use these two together and notice a couple of problems
with composing a MIME message.  I'm not sure whether they are due to
tm or due to sgnus, but I thought maybe a few of you use that
combination, too, and can tell me something about it.

When I hit C-c C-c from a *Gnus Mail* buffer, the Gcc copy is not
translated before being written to disk.  Thus, I tried this, but it
failed:

    (remove-hook 'mail-send-hook 'mime-editor/maybe-translate)
    (add-hook 'gnus-inews-article-hook 'mime-editor/maybe-translate)

mime-editor/maybe-translate seems to be called after sgnus has mangled
it a bit (in particular, replaced the mail-header-separator line with
a blank line), so the function barfs about not being able to find the
mail-header-separator string.

I circumvent this problem by hitting C-c C-x C-z first, then typing
C-c C-c.  This, however, invokes mail-send-and-exit rather than
gnus-mail-send-and-exit (the keybinding code in tm-edit seems to do
strange things which don't seem to do the right thing right here).
Also, it asks me `Send buffer contents as mail? (y/n)' which I think
is strange because gnus-novice-user is nil.  Further, when I try to
send a second mail I get always asked `Unsent message, erase it?
(y/n)' or something.

Also, about signatures: When you use tm together with sgnus, it seems
that there are about five different packages all doing something with
signatures, and I have to turn them all off to get my own signature
handling (which is a one-line function that calls insert...)!  I know
that this is not a bug, but it sure is inconvenient.

Basically, tm seems to be a fine package (I like the automatic preview
stuff).  I'd be glad if anyone could help me with the problems above.

tia,
        kai
--
Life is hard and then you die.

* Re: sgnus-0.32 + tm-7.41.1 == problems
@ 1996-02-01 20:00 ` Steven L Baur
From: Steven L Baur @ 1996-02-01 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai> Hi all,
Kai> I'm trying to use these two together and notice a couple of problems
Kai> with composing a MIME message.  I'm not sure whether they are due to
Kai> tm or due to sgnus, but I thought maybe a few of you use that
Kai> combination, too, and can tell me something about it.

Kai> When I hit C-c C-c from a *Gnus Mail* buffer, the Gcc copy is not
Kai> translated before being written to disk.

This is a new bug since it used to work a few versions back.  Note
that after sending the mail your *Gnus Mail* buffer is correctly
formatted.  So it's a timing problem of some sort.

Kai> I circumvent this problem by hitting C-c C-x C-z first, then typing
Kai> C-c C-c.  This, however, invokes mail-send-and-exit rather than
Kai> gnus-mail-send-and-exit (the keybinding code in tm-edit seems to do
Kai> strange things which don't seem to do the right thing right here).

C-c C-x C-z is totally broken, but except for the behavior described
above, C-c C-c does The Right Thing.

Kai> Also, about signatures: When you use tm together with sgnus, it seems
Kai> that there are about five different packages all doing something with
Kai> signatures, and I have to turn them all off to get my own signature
Kai> handling (which is a one-line function that calls insert...)!  I know
Kai> that this is not a bug, but it sure is inconvenient.

Yes.  And they all work slightly differently too.  I believe this was
supposed to be fixed with the Gnus posting styles additions (I'm way
behind catching up with the latest features :-( ).

Kai> Basically, tm seems to be a fine package (I like the automatic preview
Kai> stuff).

Yes.  I especially like what I've seen with the inline graphics.

I would add to the current glitch list the problem with Emacs 19.30
and font-lock (or maybe lazy-lock).  After sending mail or news the
buffer you are returned to gets its fonts and colors wiped out.
XEmacs is unaffected, and tm through 7.41.2 exhibits the problem.

--
steve@miranova.com baur
Unsolicited commercial e-mail will be proofread for $250/hour.

* Re: sgnus-0.32 + tm-7.41.1 == problems
@ 1996-02-02  9:42   ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1996-02-02  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

  Kai> I circumvent this problem by hitting C-c C-x C-z first, then
  Kai> typing C-c C-c.  This, however, invokes mail-send-and-exit
  Kai> rather than gnus-mail-send-and-exit (the keybinding code in
  Kai> tm-edit seems to do strange things which don't seem to do the
  Kai> right thing right here).

  Steven> C-c C-x C-z is totally broken, but except for the behavior
  Steven> described above, C-c C-c does The Right Thing.

What's so broken about C-c C-x C-z?  As opposed to C-c C-c which
exhibits a misbehavior which means that I definitely _don't_ want to
use it, C-c C-x C-z works.

        kai
--
Life is hard and then you die.