From: "Jochen Küpper" <jochen-+It19tn3Rl9sbm7dSapR3bNAH6kLmebB@public.gmane.org>
Subject: Re: duplicate items in nnrss groups
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 10:07:38 +0200	[thread overview]

On 10. Sep. 2006, David Hansen wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 22:25:04 +0200 Jochen Küpper wrote:
>
>> the only parameter I see related to my problem is nnrss-use-local
>> (= t).
>>
>> With this I get repeatedly the same entries listed as new. This seems
>> to happen every time I press "g" *and* the date/time of the xml-file
>> is newer than at the previous update, or something similar.

> IMHO before fixing this there must be some kind of agreement which
> RSS tags should be used to build the message id.
>
> If some RSS "expert" is reading this i would be glad to here which
> tags really indicate some new content and which are just more or
> less useless additions like the <slash:*> tags.

I guess I was to tired when I wrote my previous email, sorry.

Anyway, I read the different discussions when the appeared on the
list. Last time it was suggested to use the time instead of the full
message for hashing to decide on new content. This is supposed to work
around problems like added comments and so forth...

Now I look at my problem and the complete messages in the xml file are
unchanged! No new tags added, no content changed.
But Gnus does, nevertheless, create a different hash, apparently
because it incorporates the date of the file on disk into the hash!

Thus, even a "touch feed.xml" on my local disk will "create" new
entries in the RSS group. This is something, I believe, that we should
get right (i.e. not use the date of the file).

Disclaimer: I might have no idea what I am talking about with respect
to RSS and nnrss.

Greetings,
Jochen
        (Part 3 you find in my messages before fall 2003.)