From: Mark Plaksin <happy@mcplaksin.org>
Subject: Re: duplicate items in nnrss groups
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 12:12:19 -0400	[thread overview]

Jochen Küpper <jochen@fhi-berlin.mpg.de>
writes:

> On 14. Sep. 2006, Mark Plaksin wrote:
>
>> Depending on the RSS version (I'm no expert) it might be "pubdate" or
>> "dc:date".
>
> Maybe that's the problem.
>
> The feeds I just checked don't seem to specify a date that way at all,
> for example:
> ,----
> |  <item rdf:about="http://link.aip.org/link/?JCPSA6/125/109902/1&amp;agg=rss">
> |     <title>Publisher's Note: ``Capillary waves at the liquid-vapor interface and the surface tension of water'' [J. Chem. P
> | hys. [bold 125], 014702 (2006)]</title>
> |     <link>http://link.aip.org/link/?JCPSA6/125/109902/1&amp;agg=rss</link>
> |     <description>Ahmed E. Ismail, Gary S. Grest, and Mark J. Stevens&lt;br/&gt;   ... [J. Chem. Phys. 125, 109902 (2006)] p
> | ublished Thu Sep 14, 2006.</description>
> | </item>
> `----
> Maybe only then the date of the xml-file is used as item-date?

I don't see where nnrss.el is using the timestamp of an XML file.  Maybe I
missed it.  Did you find it already or are you just saying it *seems* like
it's using the timestamp?

It looks like it's simply using the md5 of the whole article so it's
surprising that it would consider two instances of the item above to be
different.  But again, maybe I've missed something in the code.

It sounds like you're fetching the feeds outside of nnrss and then nnrss is
reading them.  Is that right?  In my case nnrss is fetching the feeds.