* Mail splitting doesn't work with already read emails (IMAP)
@ 2011-04-01 11:18 Francis Moreau
From: Francis Moreau @ 2011-04-01 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi,

It appears that if I look at my emails on my IMAP server with a client
which is not Gnus then splitting on those emails don't work anymore
with Gnus after.

Is this expected ?

Thanks
--
Francis

* Re: Mail splitting doesn't work with already read emails (IMAP)
@ 2011-04-01 14:12 ` Alberto Luaces
From: Alberto Luaces @ 2011-04-01 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Francis Moreau writes:

> Hi,
>
> It appears that if I look at my emails on my IMAP server with a client
> which is not Gnus then splitting on those emails don't work anymore
> with Gnus after.
>
> Is this expected ?

Check the value of `nnimap-split-predicate'. I think it defaults to
`unseen'.

--
Alberto

* Re: Mail splitting doesn't work with already read emails (IMAP)
@ 2011-04-02 10:47   ` Francis Moreau
From: Francis Moreau @ 2011-04-02 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alberto Luaces; +Cc: ding

Alberto Luaces <aluaces@udc.es> writes:

> Francis Moreau writes:
>

>> It appears that if I look at my emails on my IMAP server with a client
>> which is not Gnus then splitting on those emails don't work anymore
>> with Gnus after.
>>
>> Is this expected ?
>
> Check the value of `nnimap-split-predicate'. I think it defaults to
> `unseen'.

Yes this is exactly what I'm looking for except that I can found this
variable anywhere... How should I set it ?

Thanks
--

@ 2011-04-02 13:40   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-04-02 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Alberto Luaces <aluaces@udc.es> writes:

> Francis Moreau writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> It appears that if I look at my emails on my IMAP server with a client
>> which is not Gnus then splitting on those emails don't work anymore
>> with Gnus after.
>>
>> Is this expected ?
>
> Check the value of `nnimap-split-predicate'. I think it defaults to
> `unseen'.

I don't seem to have this variable defined... I'm using the latest
(well, 1 day old) version of gnus.  What version are you using?  I also
have run into wanting to split seen messages, seeing as I am reading
more often on my phone...

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1 + No Gnus v0.16

* Re: Mail splitting doesn't work with already read emails (IMAP)
@ 2011-04-02 16:47     ` Francis Moreau
From: Francis Moreau @ 2011-04-02 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alberto Luaces; +Cc: ding

Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:

> Alberto Luaces <aluaces@udc.es> writes:
>
>> Francis Moreau writes:
>>

>>> It appears that if I look at my emails on my IMAP server with a client
>>> which is not Gnus then splitting on those emails don't work anymore
>>> with Gnus after.
>>>
>>> Is this expected ?
>>
>> Check the value of `nnimap-split-predicate'. I think it defaults to
>> `unseen'.
>
> Yes this is exactly what I'm looking for except that I can found this
                                                         ^^^^^^^^^^
I meant: "I can't find...."

--

@ 2011-04-02 16:52       ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2011-04-02 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 18:47:31 +0200, Francis wrote:

> Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:
>> Alberto Luaces <aluaces@udc.es> writes:

>>> Check the value of `nnimap-split-predicate'. I think it defaults to
>>> `unseen'.

>> Yes this is exactly what I'm looking for except that I can found this
                                                          ^^^^^^^^^^
> I meant: "I can't find...."

It is mentioned here:

 * "Splitting in IMAP" - http://gnus.org/manual/gnus_209.html

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Shining for the sun is what we do"                          Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Mail splitting doesn't work with already read emails (IMAP)
@ 2011-04-02 18:17         ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2011-04-02 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 18:52:37 +0200, Adam wrote:

> It is mentioned here:

>  * "Splitting in IMAP" - http://gnus.org/manual/gnus_209.html

Sorry for that spectacularly bad answer. Please ignore it; I forgot what
list I was reading.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--

@ 2011-04-02 18:20         ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-04-02 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 18:47:31 +0200, Francis wrote:
>
>> Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:

>>> Yes this is exactly what I'm looking for except that I can found this
>                                                           ^^^^^^^^^^
>> I meant: "I can't find...."
>
> It is mentioned here:
>
>  * "Splitting in IMAP" - http://gnus.org/manual/gnus_209.html

Adam,

thanks, yes, it *is* mentioned there but the point, I think, is that
this variable does *not* seem to exist and a grep of
nnimap-split-predicate in gnus/lisp/*.el does not find it (in fact, grep
of -predicate and then search for split in the results also finds
nothing).

Have you actually used this variable?

Further, even if it did exist, the documentation simply says what the
default value is but not what values it can take.  Does this assume an
intimate knowledge of IMAP flags or something similar?  If so, a link to
a listing of these would be useful.

Thanks,
eric

--

@ 2011-04-02 18:23           ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2011-04-02 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 19:20:26 +0100, Eric wrote:

> thanks, yes, it *is* mentioned there but the point, I think, is that
> this variable does *not* seem to exist and a grep of
> nnimap-split-predicate in gnus/lisp/*.el does not find it (in fact, grep
> of -predicate and then search for split in the results also finds
> nothing).

You're right, it was removed in the nnimap-rewrite. I didn't pay enough
attention and thought I was reading the non-development list. Sorry for
the noise.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--

@ 2011-04-02 19:25     ` Michael Welsh Duggan
From: Michael Welsh Duggan @ 2011-04-02 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Alberto Luaces <aluaces@udc.es> writes:
>
>> Francis Moreau writes:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> It appears that if I look at my emails on my IMAP server with a client
>>> which is not Gnus then splitting on those emails don't work anymore
>>> with Gnus after.
>>>
>>> Is this expected ?
>>
>> Check the value of `nnimap-split-predicate'. I think it defaults to
>> `unseen'.
>
> I don't seem to have this variable defined... I'm using the latest
> (well, 1 day old) version of gnus.  What version are you using?  I also
> have run into wanting to split seen messages, seeing as I am reading
> more often on my phone...

I think the server variable you are now looking for is
`nnimap-unsplittable-articles'.

--
Michael Welsh Duggan
(md5i@md5i.com)

* Re: Mail splitting doesn't work with already read emails (IMAP)
@ 2011-04-03  9:45       ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-04-03  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Michael Welsh Duggan <md5i@md5i.com> writes:

> Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:
>
>> Alberto Luaces <aluaces@udc.es> writes:

>>> Check the value of `nnimap-split-predicate'. I think it defaults to
>>> `unseen'.
>>
>> I don't seem to have this variable defined... I'm using the latest
>> (well, 1 day old) version of gnus.  What version are you using?  I also
>> have run into wanting to split seen messages, seeing as I am reading
>> more often on my phone...
>
> I think the server variable you are now looking for is
> `nnimap-unsplittable-articles'.

Bingo!  Works like a charm.  Many thanks.

--

@ 2011-04-04 19:52       ` Francis Moreau
From: Francis Moreau @ 2011-04-04 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Welsh Duggan; +Cc: ding

Michael Welsh Duggan <md5i@md5i.com> writes:

> Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:
>
>> Alberto Luaces <aluaces@udc.es> writes:

>>> Check the value of `nnimap-split-predicate'. I think it defaults to
>>> `unseen'.
>>
>> I don't seem to have this variable defined... I'm using the latest
>> (well, 1 day old) version of gnus.  What version are you using?  I also
>> have run into wanting to split seen messages, seeing as I am reading
>> more often on my phone...
>
> I think the server variable you are now looking for is
> `nnimap-unsplittable-articles'.

yes, that's it.

It would be nice to have the doc updated though.

And since I'm a really annoying fellow, I'm going to make a comment: I
noticed that doing split stuff on 'seen' articles slow down the 'fetch'
articles command (`g' in the group buffer), it would be interesting to
have 2 different values for `nnimap-unsplittable-articles': the first
value (which would be (%Deleted)) would be used for the very _first_
split and the second value (which would be (%Seen %Deleted)) would be
used by the other split processes.
--

@ 2011-04-04 20:12         ` Michael Welsh Duggan
From: Michael Welsh Duggan @ 2011-04-04 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:

> Michael Welsh Duggan <md5i@md5i.com> writes:
>
>> Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:

>>> I don't seem to have this variable defined... I'm using the latest
>>> (well, 1 day old) version of gnus.  What version are you using?  I also
>>> have run into wanting to split seen messages, seeing as I am reading
>>> more often on my phone...
>>
>> I think the server variable you are now looking for is
>> `nnimap-unsplittable-articles'.
>
> yes, that's it.
>
> It would be nice to have the doc updated though.

Section 6.3.3 of the gnus info file, "Client-Side IMAP Splitting", has
the following":

`nnimap-unsplittable-articles'
     List of flag symbols to ignore when doing splitting.  That is,
     articles that have these flags won't be considered when splitting.
     The default is `(%Deleted %Seen)'.

But I do think that section 6.4.3, "Splitting Mail", should have a link
to section 6.3.3 somewhere in it.

--
Michael Welsh Duggan
(md5i@md5i.com)