* Splitting across IMAP servers
@ 2017-12-13 22:53 Bob Newell
From: Bob Newell @ 2017-12-13 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Aloha,

I spent a frustrating half-day fooling with IMAP splitting. The idea is
that I fetch mail from a certain IMAP server, which I'll call /oddball/, but
want it to end up in my IMAP gmail inbox.

After some effort (and finally understanding the exact meaning of the
'nnimap-inbox' variable) I got IMAP splitting to work.

But, alas, imap splitting doesn't seem to work across servers, and
instead of moving the mail from the /oddball/ inbox to the gmail inbox,
gnus creates a new group on the /oddball/ server called
nnimap+imap.gmail.com:INBOX.

Looking at the nnimap code, it's now painfully obvious that this is how
it works. But how to make it work the way I want? I don't have that
figured out yet, and any ideas would be much appreciated. I can only
think of two ways offhand, neither especially brilliant.

1) Create a virtual group combining the gmail inbox and the oddball
   inbox, and forget about splitting altogether.

2) Make some sort of post-hook that goes into the oddball inbox and
   moves all the articles to the gmail inbox (again, forget about
   splitting).

Mahalo,

--
Bob Newell
Honolulu, Hawai`i

* Re: Splitting across IMAP servers
@ 2018-01-09  8:47 ` Alberto Luaces
From: Alberto Luaces @ 2018-01-09  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Bob Newell writes:

> But, alas, imap splitting doesn't seem to work across servers, and
> instead of moving the mail from the /oddball/ inbox to the gmail inbox,
> gnus creates a new group on the /oddball/ server called
> nnimap+imap.gmail.com:INBOX.

Not the answer you want, but passing messages between splitting imap
servers happened to me as an unintended effect when I had one of them as
the main server method.  So maybe it is a matter of finding the right
escaping of symbols...

Sorry for not being helpful,

--
Alberto

* Re: Splitting across IMAP servers
@ 2018-01-12 18:26   ` Bob Newell
From: Bob Newell @ 2018-01-12 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Not the answer you want, but passing messages between splitting imap
> servers happened to me as an unintended effect when I had one of them as
> the main server method.  So maybe it is a matter of finding the right
> escaping of symbols...
>
> Sorry for not being helpful,

This actually /is/ helpful, but I can't reproduce your results, as I
/do/ have the server I'm trying to split mail to as the main server
method. That is, mail received on the secondary server is supposed to
split and go to the main server but I can't make it happen, and
looking in the splitter code in the gnus source, it doesn't seem
possible.

So I did as described in earlier/other posting and wrote a 'move'
function to run after gnus-group-get-new-news which bulk moves
everything in the secondary server inbox to the main server inbox. A
bit kludgy and the long way around, but it's working.

--
Bob Newell
Honolulu, Hawai`i

Sent via Linux Mint 17.