* nnimap: Missing SEARCH response to a SEARCH command
@ 2001-10-03  2:15 dcohen
From: dcohen @ 2001-10-03  2:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

I recently openned an account on http://mailandnews.com.  I want to
use gnus and nnimap to read my mail there.  mailandnews.com acts as an
imap server.

I've played around with adding mailandnews.com as a secondary method.
Also adding a group using the "G m" command.  When I try to visit my
mailandnews.com inbox, I get an error shown in the backtrace below.

Signaling: (error "Missing SEARCH response to a SEARCH command")
  signal(error ("Missing SEARCH response to a SEARCH command"))
  error("Missing SEARCH response to a SEARCH command")
  imap-search("SEEN")
  nnimap-request-update-info-internal("INBOX" ("nnimap+mailandnews.com:INBOX" 3 nil nil (nnimap "mailandnews.com") ((uidvalidity . "2"))) "mailandnews.com")
  nnimap-request-group("INBOX" "mailandnews.com" nil)
  byte-code("\b	\n^[\x19\x18\v†®\x01\bÆ\x1c\x18\r†­\x01\b„^[

Does anyone know why?  I assume this error message comes from the imap
protocol, which I know little about.

Also, when I created the group using "G m", this error prevents my
*Group* buffer from ever showing me any of my groups.  I had to resort
to removing the entry from my .newsrc.eld just to restart gnus.  Is
there a better way to recover from this sort of error?  Now that I
think of it, perhaps it fails completely only because I have
(setq debug-on-error t) in my .emacs.

Thanks for any help.

-Dave

OS - windows 2000
Gnus - Oort Gnus v0.03
Emacs - GNU Emacs 20.7.1 (i386-*-nt5.0.2195) of Tue Jun 13 2000 on buffy

* Re: nnimap: Missing SEARCH response to a SEARCH command
@ 2001-10-03  7:53 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2001-10-03  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On 2 Oct 2001 dcohen@webmethods.com wrote:

>   signal(error ("Missing SEARCH response to a SEARCH command"))
>   error("Missing SEARCH response to a SEARCH command")
>
> Does anyone know why?  I assume this error message comes from the imap
> protocol, which I know little about.

The server is broken.  I think latest Oort works around it, please try.

> Also, when I created the group using "G m", this error prevents my
> *Group* buffer from ever showing me any of my groups.  I had to resort
> to removing the entry from my .newsrc.eld just to restart gnus.  Is
> there a better way to recover from this sort of error?  Now that I
> think of it, perhaps it fails completely only because I have
> (setq debug-on-error t) in my .emacs.

M-x gnus-no-server RET and remove the offending group(s)?