* mail-sources: one server, two mailboxes ?
@ 2001-12-30  4:43 Jason R. Mastaler
From: Jason R. Mastaler @ 2001-12-30  4:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm looking for suggestions here.

On my mail server which I access remotely over the Internet, incoming
mail is written to one of two mailboxes; one for mailing lists, and a
second for everything else.  I need a way for Gnus running on my
workstation to fetch mail from both of these mailboxes.

I do have ssh access to the server, so that isn't a problem, but it
seems like the Mail Source Specifiers for remote mail fetching (pop,
imap) assume one mailbox.  I can't find a way to specify multiple
mailboxes with these.

I installed Tramp and set mail-sources to fetch mail from a Maildir on
the server (using ssh) like so:

(setq mail-sources
      '((maildir :path "/[jason@a.mx.mastaler.com]~/Maildir/"
                 :subdirs ("new" "cur" "list/new" "list/cur"))))

But this is abysmally slow as each message in the Maildir is
downloaded and then unlinked one by one.

Any other ideas?

* Re: mail-sources: one server, two mailboxes ?
@ 2001-12-30  7:36 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2001-12-30  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Jason R. Mastaler" <jason-dated-1010378600.8a6ed6@mastaler.com> writes:

> On my mail server which I access remotely over the Internet, incoming
> mail is written to one of two mailboxes; one for mailing lists, and a
> second for everything else.  I need a way for Gnus running on my
> workstation to fetch mail from both of these mailboxes.
>
> I do have ssh access to the server, so that isn't a problem, but it
> seems like the Mail Source Specifiers for remote mail fetching (pop,
> imap) assume one mailbox.  I can't find a way to specify multiple
> mailboxes with these.

Can't you just put two pop specs in `mail-sources'?  I don't think
that should be problematic...

* Re: mail-sources: one server, two mailboxes ?
@ 2001-12-30 23:07   ` Jason R. Mastaler
From: Jason R. Mastaler @ 2001-12-30 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Can't you just put two pop specs in `mail-sources'?  I don't think
> that should be problematic...

Well again, I'm only fetching from one pop server, not two.  Is there
a way to specify which mailbox to pop from?  I can't find any such
keyword under the pop spec.  It seems as if the only option is your
default mailbox (ie., /var/mail/jason) -- I need to fetch that as well
as a second mailbox on the same server.

* Re: mail-sources: one server, two mailboxes ?
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2001-12-30 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Jason R. Mastaler" <jason-dated-1010444838.b536a8@mastaler.com> writes:

> Well again, I'm only fetching from one pop server, not two.  Is there
> a way to specify which mailbox to pop from?

Sure.  The syntax of the specs is like this:

(pop :server "pop3.mailserver.com" :user "myname")

So you can just put several of them in there with different user
names.

* Re: mail-sources: one server, two mailboxes ?
@ 2001-12-31  1:57       ` Jason R. Mastaler
From: Jason R. Mastaler @ 2001-12-31  1:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Sure.  The syntax of the specs is like this:
>
> (pop :server "pop3.mailserver.com" :user "myname")
>
> So you can just put several of them in there with different user
> names.

I'm looking for something a bit more flexible.  Both the mailboxes are
within one home directory (e.g, ~/Mailbox, ~/Mailbox.list).

* Re: mail-sources: one server, two mailboxes ?
@ 2001-12-31  2:32         ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2001-12-31  2:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Jason R. Mastaler" <jason-dated-1010455028.1918bf@mastaler.com> writes:

>> (pop :server "pop3.mailserver.com" :user "myname")
>>
>> So you can just put several of them in there with different user
>> names.
>
> I'm looking for something a bit more flexible.  Both the mailboxes are
> within one home directory (e.g, ~/Mailbox, ~/Mailbox.list).

I must be misunderstanding something.  :-)  What is it that you want
to do, again?

* Re: mail-sources: one server, two mailboxes ?
@ 2001-12-31  8:29           ` Jason R. Mastaler
From: Jason R. Mastaler @ 2001-12-31  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I must be misunderstanding something.  :-) What is it that you want
> to do, again?

It's pretty simple, or so I thought.

When I hit `g', I want Gnus to fetch mail from both ~/Mailbox and
~/Mailbox.list which reside on a remote server.

The mail source specifiers for remote mail all seem to assume one
mailbox however.

* Re: mail-sources: one server, two mailboxes ?
@ 2001-12-31  8:35             ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2001-12-31  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Jason R. Mastaler" <jason-dated-1010478556.91c626@mastaler.com> writes:

> It's pretty simple, or so I thought.
>
> When I hit `g', I want Gnus to fetch mail from both ~/Mailbox and
> ~/Mailbox.list which reside on a remote server.
>
> The mail source specifiers for remote mail all seem to assume one
> mailbox however.

You want to fetch via POP, right?  How do you tell the POP server to
give you `~/Mailbox'?

Or do you mean that you want the mail-source fetcher to ssh to the
remote machine, run movemail to transfer the `~/Mailbox' file to a
temporary file, and then transfer the temporary file to the local
machine via scp?  :-)

* Re: mail-sources: one server, two mailboxes ?
@ 2001-12-31 19:52               ` Jason R. Mastaler
From: Jason R. Mastaler @ 2001-12-31 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

> You want to fetch via POP, right?  How do you tell the POP server to
> give you `~/Mailbox'?

I don't necessarily need POP, any protocol is fine.

> Or do you mean that you want the mail-source fetcher to ssh to the
> remote machine, run movemail to transfer the `~/Mailbox' file to a
> temporary file, and then transfer the temporary file to the local
> machine via scp?  :-)

This seems potentially unreliable, but I'll give it a try.  I'll need
to do this for both ~/Mailbox and ~/Mailbox.list.

* Re: mail-sources: one server, two mailboxes ?
@ 2002-01-02 11:34     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-01-02 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Jason R. Mastaler" <jason-dated-1010444838.b536a8@mastaler.com> writes:

> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
>
>> Can't you just put two pop specs in `mail-sources'?  I don't think
>> that should be problematic...
>
> Well again, I'm only fetching from one pop server, not two.  Is there
> a way to specify which mailbox to pop from?

The POP standard only allows one mailbox per user.  There are
nonstandard extensions, but I guess Gnus (or pop3.el) does not
support them.

You could set up an IMAP server on the remote host.  The `imap'
mail-sources specifier allows you to specify a mailbox.

kai
--
Simplification good!  Oversimplification bad!  (Larry Wall)

* Re: mail-sources: one server, two mailboxes ?
@ 2002-01-07  3:01       ` Jason R. Mastaler
From: Jason R. Mastaler @ 2002-01-07  3:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

> You could set up an IMAP server on the remote host.  The `imap'
> mail-sources specifier allows you to specify a mailbox.

Thanks, this works well after updating my Oort (it didn't when I tried
this before).

BTW, is there any way to specify two mailboxes within one mail-source
specifier?  Right now I have two 'imap mail-source specifiers defined,
but the two connection attempts makes incorporating new mail slow as
the IMAP server is on a remote network.

--
(TMDA (http://tmda.sourceforge.net))
(user-level UCE intrusion reduction)

* Re: mail-sources: one server, two mailboxes ?
@ 2002-01-07  8:43         ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2002-01-07  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On Sun, 6 Jan 2002, Jason R. Mastaler wrote:

> BTW, is there any way to specify two mailboxes within one mail-source
> specifier?  Right now I have two 'imap mail-source specifiers defined,
> but the two connection attempts makes incorporating new mail slow as
> the IMAP server is on a remote network.

This isn't possible now, but please have a look at
`mail-source-fetch-imap' if you want to implement it.  Basicly one could
replace parts of the top-level `if' with a `dolist' that iterates over the
mailbox variable (if it is a list).