* abbrevs in message mode
@ 2002-03-01 11:14 Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-03-01 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

I used to have some abbrevs in message mode for useful URLs.  For
example: "ntemacsurl" expands to
"http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/windows/ntemacs.html".

But now, message-mode looks at text-mode-abbrev-table.  But the above
abbrev isn't so useful in other buffers in text mode.

What should I do?

kai
--
~/.signature is: umop 3p!sdn    (Frank Nobis)

* Re: abbrevs in message mode
@ 2002-03-02 21:54   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-03-02 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matt Armstrong <matt@lickey.com> writes:

> Will an 'ntemacsurl' abbrev get in the way when editing other text
> mode buffers?

Up to now, it doesn't.  But still, I'm a bit worried...  Nothing
rational, I think.  Hm.

kai
--
Silence is foo!

From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-03-02 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2002-03-02 21:39 ` Matt Armstrong
From: Matt Armstrong @ 2002-03-02 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> I used to have some abbrevs in message mode for useful URLs.  For
> example: "ntemacsurl" expands to
> "http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/windows/ntemacs.html".
>
> But now, message-mode looks at text-mode-abbrev-table.
>
> But the above abbrev isn't so useful in other buffers in text mode.

Will an 'ntemacsurl' abbrev get in the way when editing other text
mode buffers?

> What should I do?

I would personally just stick the abbrevs in the text mode abbrev
table.

--
matt

* Re: abbrevs in message mode
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-03-02 21:39 ` Matt Armstrong
From: Matt Armstrong @ 2002-03-02 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

@ 2002-03-01 12:23   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-03-01 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mark Trettin <Mark.Trettin@gmx.de> writes:

> Have a look at quickurl.el.

While I'm sure that quickurl is a useful package, I also have some
abbrevs which do not expand to URLs.  For example:

`C-h a' is not the same thing as `M-x apropos RET'.
(Expanded from "tipapr".)

kai

From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-03-01 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2002-03-01 12:11 ` Mark Trettin
From: Mark Trettin @ 2002-03-01 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

* On: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 12:14:06 +0100 Kai Großjohann writes:
> I used to have some abbrevs in message mode for useful URLs.  For
> example: "ntemacsurl" expands to
> "http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/windows/ntemacs.html".

> But now, message-mode looks at text-mode-abbrev-table.  But the above
> abbrev isn't so useful in other buffers in text mode.

> What should I do?

Have a look at quickurl.el.

I don't know if the following URLs still work:

<URL:http://www.hagbard.demon.co.uk/archives/quickurl.el>
<URL:http://www.acemake.com/hagbard/archives/quickurl.el>

        Mark
--
Mark Trettin · Aachen · Germany · Where is Aachen? --> N: 50°46' E: 06°05'
BOFH excuse #313:

your process is not ISO 9000 compliant

* Re: abbrevs in message mode
@ 2002-03-01 12:11 ` Mark Trettin
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Mark Trettin @ 2002-03-01 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

* On: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 12:14:06 +0100 Kai Großjohann writes:
> I used to have some abbrevs in message mode for useful URLs.  For
> example: "ntemacsurl" expands to
> "http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/windows/ntemacs.html".

> But now, message-mode looks at text-mode-abbrev-table.  But the above
> abbrev isn't so useful in other buffers in text mode.

> What should I do?

Have a look at quickurl.el.

I don't know if the following URLs still work:

<URL:http://www.hagbard.demon.co.uk/archives/quickurl.el>
<URL:http://www.acemake.com/hagbard/archives/quickurl.el>

        Mark
--
Mark Trettin · Aachen · Germany · Where is Aachen? --> N: 50°46' E: 06°05'
BOFH excuse #313:

your process is not ISO 9000 compliant

* abbrevs in message mode
@ 2002-03-01 11:14 Kai Großjohann