* Address completion a la pine.
@ 2002-03-14 17:57 Matthieu Moy
From: Matthieu Moy @ 2002-03-14 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello.

Some friends  of mine  are using pine  as a  mailer, and there  is one
functionality I can't reproduce with Gnus :

Whenever they type  a user name in the To:  field, pine "finger"s this
user, and completes his email address. This is the same kind of things
as bbdb-complete-name,  but the address does  not have to  be in there
address   book.    It's   very    usefull   when   everybody    in   a
company/school/laboratory have an account on the same machine as you.

So, is it possible with Gnus ?

--
Matthieu

* Re: Address completion a la pine.
@ 2002-03-14 19:12 ` Martin Thornquist
From: Martin Thornquist @ 2002-03-14 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

[ Matthieu Moy ]

> Whenever they type  a user name in the To:  field, pine "finger"s this
> user, and completes his email address. This is the same kind of things
> as bbdb-complete-name,  but the address does  not have to  be in there
> address   book.    It's   very    usefull   when   everybody    in   a
> company/school/laboratory have an account on the same machine as you.

I use this (its origins are shrouded in the mists of time, I inherited
it together with my first .gnus):

(defun complete-email-addr ()
  (interactive)
    (let* ((wbeg (and (forward-word -1) (point)))
	   (wend (and (forward-word  1) (point)))
	   (unam (and wbeg wend
		      (buffer-substring wbeg wend)))
	   (name (and unam
		      (user-full-name unam))))
      (if (not name)
	  (error "No such user: %s" unam)
	(save-excursion
	  (goto-char wbeg)
	  (insert name " <"))
	(insert "@ifi.uio.no>"))))

Obviously, you want to frob the last line.

> So, is it possible with Gnus ?

This is Emacs -- ask not if, but how! :-)

Martin
--
"An ideal world is left as an exercise to the reader."
                                                 -Paul Graham, On Lisp

* Re: Address completion a la pine.
@ 2002-03-14 21:23   ` D. Goel
From: D. Goel @ 2002-03-14 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I use this (its origins are shrouded in the mists of time, I inherited
> it together with my first .gnus):

[...]

> This is Emacs -- ask not if, but how! :-)

Martin

 i think that this solution still does not mimic pine's
behavior.   Pine can complete based on only partial user-name whereas
this needs the full user-name.

(BTW, i liked a lot the user-full-name stuff you posted, and have
added this functionality to a file of mine, bbdbrc.el which i will
soon post to g.e.s)

Have a good day,

D				   <http://www.glue.umd.edu/~deego>
--
 "Following the herd is a sure way to mediocrity"