* Switch spellchecker language in e.g. gnus-posting-styles?
@ 2023-12-08  0:06 yeti
From: yeti @ 2023-12-08  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Is there an elisp-noob-proof way to switch the language e.g. via a
definition in gnus-posting-styles or even a better way to preset it in a
newsgroup ore hierarchy specific way?

Well, I haven't even switched the language at all in Emacs yet because I
typically only need English, but seeing nearly every word under-wiggled
when writing in de.* groups is distracting and instead of just turning
it off, switching the dictionary might make more sense.

--
I do not bite, I just want to play.

* Re: Switch spellchecker language in e.g. gnus-posting-styles?
@ 2023-12-08 12:53 ` Gijs Hillenius
From: Gijs Hillenius @ 2023-12-08 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yeti; +Cc: ding

On  8 December 2023 00:06 yeti, wrote:

> Is there an elisp-noob-proof way to switch the language e.g. via a
> definition in gnus-posting-styles or even a better way to preset it in a
> newsgroup ore hierarchy specific way?
>
> Well, I haven't even switched the language at all in Emacs yet because I
> typically only need English, but seeing nearly every word under-wiggled
> when writing in de.* groups is distracting and instead of just turning
> it off, switching the dictionary might make more sense.

Yes, we are spoilt for choice

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusSpelling

* Re: Switch spellchecker language in e.g. gnus-posting-styles?
@ 2023-12-08 14:14   ` yeti
From: yeti @ 2023-12-08 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gijs Hillenius; +Cc: ding

On Fri, 2023-12-08 at 13:53 +0100, Gijs Hilleni
> https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusSpelling

First I screwed it up by using ispell dictionary names where it looks
like aspell-names are needed or something similarily stupid mishap, but
after grabbing the old ~/.gnus from yesterday for a clean restart it
looks like working.  \o/

Starting a post in de.* now shows via minibuffer:

Starting new Ispell process aspell with de-1901 dictionary...done

One test in de.alt.test looked successful.

MANY THANKS again for that URL!

	Ulf.