* void-function gnus-make-local-hook
@ 2010-10-08  6:45 NAKAJI Hiroyuki
From: NAKAJI Hiroyuki @ 2010-10-08  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I updated Emacs trunk and Gnus CVS head, and got an error, when starting Gnus.

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-function gnus-make-local-hook)
  gnus-make-local-hook(post-command-hook)
  gnus-undo-mode(1)
  gnus-group-mode()
  gnus-group-setup-buffer()
  gnus-group-list-groups(nil)
  byte-code("..." [dont-connect did-connect gnus-startup-file
gnus-current-startup-file gnus-slave gnus-use-dribble-file
gnus-group-quit gnus-run-hooks gnus-startup-hook gnus-make-newsrc-file
gnus-dribble-read-file gnus-request-create-group "queue" (nndraft "")
"drafts" (nndraft "") gnus-setup-news nil gnus-setup-news-hook
gnus-start-draft-setup gnus-group-list-groups
gnus-group-first-unread-group gnus-configure-windows group
gnus-group-set-mode-line gnus-started-hook gnus-agent level] 4)
  gnus-1(nil nil nil)
  gnus(nil)
  call-interactively(gnus nil nil)
  command-execute(gnus)
  command-line-1(("-e" "gnus"))
  command-line()
  normal-top-level()

M-x gnus again, then I can see *Group* buffer, but when I press SPC or
C-j at, for example, fj.mail.reader, another error appears.

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-function gnus-make-local-hook)
  gnus-make-local-hook(pre-command-hook)
  gnus-summary-mode("fj.mail.reader")
  gnus-summary-setup-buffer("fj.mail.reader")
  gnus-summary-read-group-1("fj.mail.reader" nil nil nil nil nil)
  gnus-summary-read-group("fj.mail.reader" nil nil nil nil nil nil)
  gnus-group-read-group(nil)
  call-interactively(gnus-group-read-group nil nil)

SPC again in *Group* buffer, I can get *Summary* buffer but the
articles are not any marked "read", "moved", " to be expired" and so
on.

Of course, pressing 'm' in *Group* buffer gets same  (void-function
gnus-make-local-hook) error. And I can't send emails with Gnus. :)

I'm not sure if this is a problem of Gnus itself or Emacs trunk. Thanks.

* Re: void-function gnus-make-local-hook
@ 2010-10-08  7:01 ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2010-10-08  7:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

NAKAJI Hiroyuki wrote:
> I updated Emacs trunk and Gnus CVS head, and got an error, when
> starting Gnus.

> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-function gnus-make-local-hook)
[...]

> M-x gnus again, then I can see *Group* buffer, but when I press SPC or
> C-j at, for example, fj.mail.reader, another error appears.

> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-function gnus-make-local-hook)
[...]

Weird.  It's been existing in gnus-util.el for all the time
because this function is necessary for XEmacs 21.4:

(defalias 'gnus-make-local-hook (if (featurep 'xemacs)
                                    'make-local-hook
                                  'ignore))

Doesn't this return t?

emacs -batch -Q -l gnus-util -eval '(message "%s" (fboundp (quote gnus-make-local-hook)))'

* Re: void-function gnus-make-local-hook
@ 2010-10-12  1:12   ` NAKAJI Hiroyuki
From: NAKAJI Hiroyuki @ 2010-10-12  1:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> NAKAJI Hiroyuki wrote:
> > I updated Emacs trunk and Gnus CVS head, and got an error, when
> > starting Gnus.

> > Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-function gnus-make-local-hook)
> [...]

> Weird.  It's been existing in gnus-util.el for all the time
> because this function is necessary for XEmacs 21.4:

> (defalias 'gnus-make-local-hook (if (featurep 'xemacs)
>                                     'make-local-hook
>                                   'ignore))

Oops. My Gnus CVS tree is about half year old.

In my gnus-util.el got by 'cvs update -dP', it is:

;; The LOCAL arg to `add-hook' is interpreted differently in Emacs and
;; XEmacs.  In Emacs we don't need to call `make-local-hook' first.
;; It's harmless, though, so the main purpose of this alias is to shut
;; up the byte compiler.
(defalias 'gnus-make-local-hook
  (if (eq (get 'make-local-hook 'byte-compile)
          'byte-compile-obsolete)
      'ignore                           ; Emacs
    'make-local-hook))                  ; XEmacs

And, I don't know why, this returns "make-local-hook".

Retrieved gnus.git trunk and all work well. Thanks!
--
NAKAJI Hiroyuki

* Re: void-function gnus-make-local-hook
@ 2010-10-12  5:52     ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2010-10-12  5:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Oops. My Gnus CVS tree is about half year old.

If it's CVS it will continue to stay old.  The current development takes
place in git: http://git.gnus.org/

* Re: void-function gnus-make-local-hook
@ 2010-10-13  2:45       ` NAKAJI Hiroyuki
From: NAKAJI Hiroyuki @ 2010-10-13  2:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> > Oops. My Gnus CVS tree is about half year old.

> If it's CVS it will continue to stay old.  The current development takes
> place in git: http://git.gnus.org/

Yes. I noticed it last weekend. I'll follow the git. Thanks!
--
NAKAJI Hiroyuki