* Gnus in Emacs 25 changes language for format-time-string
@ 2016-09-29 11:35 Stefan Nobis
From: Stefan Nobis @ 2016-09-29 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi.

Recently I switched from Emacs 24 to Emacs 25.1 with Gnus v5.13
(running on a german MacOS 10.11.6; compiled via Homebrew). I found a
strange change in behaviour that seems to be caused by Gnus.

Before the update the call (format-time-string "%a") gives me english
abbreviated day names - as I set my Emacs environment to english
(terminal LANG is en_US.UTF-8 and my Emacs init.el contains the call
(set-language-environment "English")).

After the update to Emacs 25, I still get the english day names
straight after starting Emacs (either with full config or with "emacs
-Q").

But as soon as I start Gnus (even with a massively stripped down
config), I suddenly get german day names (like "Do" for thursday
instead of the expected "Thu").

Has anyone an idea what causes this strange behaviour and how to
change it?

--
Until the next mail...,
Stefan.