* Ugly line of dashs
@ 2002-01-12  2:29 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2002-01-12  2:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Anyone else noticing an ugly line of dashes just under the visible
headers in viewed  messages in recent cvs?

What I see is a line of dashes 99 chars wide.  Is this a local
abberation or has something been added.

* Re: Ugly line of dashs
@ 2002-01-12  2:58 ` Henrik Enberg
From: Henrik Enberg @ 2002-01-12  2:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> Anyone else noticing an ugly line of dashes just under the visible
> headers in viewed  messages in recent cvs?
>
> What I see is a line of dashes 99 chars wide.  Is this a local
> abberation or has something been added.

See `gnus-treat-body-boundary'.  It's something Lars added in his
flurry of kung-fu hacking last week.

Henrik
--
I know how hard it is for you to put food on your family.
		-- George W. Bush

* Re: Ugly line of dashs
@ 2002-01-12  3:42 ` Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 2002-01-12  3:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

I find (setq gnus-body-boundary-delimiter "_") to be better, visually.
It displays as a continuous, unbroken line.

* Re: Ugly line of dashs
@ 2002-01-12  3:50   ` Steve Youngs
From: Steve Youngs @ 2002-01-12  3:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

|--==> "KK" == Karl Kleinpaste <karl@charcoal.com> writes:

  KK> I find (setq gnus-body-boundary-delimiter "_") to be better, visually.
  KK> It displays as a continuous, unbroken line.

And (setq gnus-treat-body-boundary nil) is even better. :-)

--
|---<Steve Youngs>---------------<GnuPG KeyID: 10D5C9C5>---|
|            XEmacs - It's not just an editor.             |

* Re: Ugly line of dashs
@ 2002-01-12  6:06     ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2002-01-12  6:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steve Youngs <youngs@xemacs.org> writes:

> |--==> "KK" == Karl Kleinpaste <karl@charcoal.com> writes:
>
>   KK> I find (setq gnus-body-boundary-delimiter "_") to be better, visually.
>   KK> It displays as a continuous, unbroken line.
>
> And (setq gnus-treat-body-boundary nil) is even better. :-)

ahhhh   relief......

* Re: Ugly line of dashs
@ 2002-01-12 10:22     ` Pavel Janík
From: Pavel Janík @ 2002-01-12 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

   From: Steve Youngs <youngs@xemacs.org>
   Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 13:50:42 +1000

Hi,

   >   KK> I find (setq gnus-body-boundary-delimiter "_") to be better, visually.
   >   KK> It displays as a continuous, unbroken line.
   >
   > And (setq gnus-treat-body-boundary nil) is even better. :-)

yes, I think this should be the default value to not disturb old users when
upgrading. This will be the first which will be changed by most of them and
the first thing I will change in Emacs CVS when Oort Gnus goes there.

Please change it now.
--
Pavel Janík

Identify bad input; recover if possible.
                  --  The Elements of Programming Style (Kernighan & Plaugher)

* Re: Ugly line of dashs
@ 2002-01-12 11:21   ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2002-01-12 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Karl Kleinpaste <karl@charcoal.com> writes:

> I find (setq gnus-body-boundary-delimiter "_") to be better, visually.
> It displays as a continuous, unbroken line.

This is the default, actually.

The line is only enabled if picon's are enabled.

* Re: Ugly line of dashs
@ 2002-01-12 13:40     ` Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 2002-01-12 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karl Kleinpaste <karl@charcoal.com> writes:
>> I find (setq gnus-body-boundary-delimiter "_") to be better, visually.

> This is the default, actually.

Curious...It didn't default to that a week or so ago, when I first
noticed it (and didn't like it that way).

* Re: Ugly line of dashs
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-01-12 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karl Kleinpaste <karl@charcoal.com> writes:

> Curious...It didn't default to that a week or so ago, when I first
> noticed it (and didn't like it that way).

I changed the default.

* Re: Ugly line of dashs
@ 2002-01-12 15:39     ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2002-01-12 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Karl Kleinpaste <karl@charcoal.com> writes:
>
>> I find (setq gnus-body-boundary-delimiter "_") to be better, visually.
>> It displays as a continuous, unbroken line.
>
> This is the default, actually.
>
> The line is only enabled if picon's are enabled.

Are you sure about that.. I've never done anything with picons and
really don't even know what it is, certainly haven't enabled or
disabled it, yet I was getting the dashed line.

It isn't exactly life threatening by the way, and at least it didn't
default to `@' or some other more obnoxious character.  However it
does seem sensible for this to be off by default.

* Re: Ugly line of dashs
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-01-12 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> The line is only enabled if picon's are enabled.
>
> Are you sure about that.. I've never done anything with picons and
> really don't even know what it is, certainly haven't enabled or
> disabled it, yet I was getting the dashed line.

It's only enabled if picons or x-faces are enabled.  However, if you
don't have picons installed, the line will still be shown, which is
kinda unnecessary.

* Re: Ugly line of dashs
@ 2002-01-14 18:30         ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 2002-01-14 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars> Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> writes:
>>> The line is only enabled if picon's are enabled.
>>
>> Are you sure about that.. I've never done anything with picons and
>> really don't even know what it is, certainly haven't enabled or
>> disabled it, yet I was getting the dashed line.

Lars> It's only enabled if picons or x-faces are enabled.  However, if
Lars> you don't have picons installed, the line will still be shown,
Lars> which is kinda unnecessary.

Um, it seems kind of odd to me that picons and x-faces dictate the
behavior of another feature.  Shouldn't it have it's own toggle?  (And
don't tell me we should start reducing the variable space *now*.
We're *way* beyond the point of insanity now.  [just counted: 1899
interactive functions begin with "gnus-", and 965 public variables
begin with "gnus-"] [Done using C-h a and count-lines-region])

--
"Ninjas aren't dangerous.  They're more afraid of you than you are of them."

* Re: Ugly line of dashs
@ 2002-01-14 18:34           ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-01-14 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wes Hardaker <wes@hardakers.net> writes:

> Um, it seems kind of odd to me that picons and x-faces dictate the
> behavior of another feature.  Shouldn't it have it's own toggle?

It does have its own toggle, but the default value depends on whether
you're displaying picons.

* Re: Ugly line of dashs
@ 2002-01-14 21:20             ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 2002-01-14 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> Um, it seems kind of odd to me that picons and x-faces dictate the
>> behavior of another feature.  Shouldn't it have it's own toggle?

Lars> It does have its own toggle, but the default value depends on
Lars> whether you're displaying picons.

I *guess* that makes sense, though it seems like a rather odd thing to
do.  I understand that you're default is trying to be "if they like
graphics, then use more" but people that toggle picons or xfaces on
then off will get rather confused when other supposedly-unrelated
features also get toggled (because they haven't set the option yet, so
the default is being used).

--

@ 2002-01-14 23:17               ` Raja R Harinath
From: Raja R Harinath @ 2002-01-14 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

>>> Um, it seems kind of odd to me that picons and x-faces dictate the
>>> behavior of another feature.  Shouldn't it have it's own toggle?
>
> Lars> It does have its own toggle, but the default value depends on
> Lars> whether you're displaying picons.
>
> I *guess* that makes sense, though it seems like a rather odd thing to
> do.  I understand that you're default is trying to be "if they like
> graphics, then use more"
[snip]

Actually, that's not the reason.  The reason is that with X-Faces and
picons, there's suddenly a lot more whitespace in the header itself,
and it gets difficult to discern the whitespace that is used to
demarcate the header from the body.

- Hari