* a colon with forward-slashes kicks lines to the top - why?
@ 2006-09-03 12:06 Tomasz Mieszkowski
From: Tomasz Mieszkowski @ 2006-09-03 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello everyone,

I've been wrestling with this for quite long, but without success - so
maybe here I'll find some light :)

The problem is when I use a combination of colon and forward-slashes (an
URL or unix path for example) in the body of my posts, a line which
contains them is moved to the top of the body after I hit C-c C-c (so my
posts are screwed quite often and I have to supersede them). I thought
that maybe article fontisizing is responsible for this behavior, but it
seems that it has nothing to do with the process of posting (?).

I'm using Gnus 5.11/GNU Emacs 22.0.50.1 (from Carbon Emacs Package), but
with tty Gnus 5.9.0/GNU Emacs 21.2.1 (part of the Mac OS X installation)
problem was the same.

Any ideas..?

Thanks for your time,
tomek

--
People are not machines, but in all situations where they are given
the opportunity, they will act like machines.

* Re: a colon with forward-slashes kicks lines to the top - why?
@ 2006-09-05 13:22   ` Tomasz Mieszkowski
From: Tomasz Mieszkowski @ 2006-09-05 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

*Katsumi Yamaoka* writes:

> `message-sort-headers' requires that there is a separator
> (i.e., "--text follows this line--") between header and body.
> However, it isn't at the time when `message-send-news-hook' is run.
> How about using `message-send-hook' instead?

Indeed, inproper use of `message-sort-headers' was the cause of my
problem - I've removed everything from these hooks and now it works as
expected - thanks!

tomek

PS: ...and sorry for my double-post - I've just started with Gmane...

--

@ 2006-09-04 23:17 ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2006-09-04 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> Hello everyone,

> I've been wrestling with this for quite long (without success), so maybe
> here I'll find some light :)

> The problem is when I use a combination of colon and forward-slashes (an
> URL for example) in the body of my posts, the line which contains them,
> irrespective of its original location, is moved somehow to the top when
> I hit C-c C-c. Because of that, my posts are screwed quite often and I
> have to supersede them. I thought that maybe article fontisizing is
> responsible for this behavior, but it seems that it has nothing to do
> with it. And the only function I have on message-send-news-hook is
> message-sort-headers.

I think it is just the cause of your problem.
`message-sort-headers' requires that there is a separator (i.e.,
"--text follows this line--") between header and body.  However,
it isn't at the time when `message-send-news-hook' is run.  How
about using `message-send-hook' instead?

P.S.
No Gnus users don't have to run `message-sort-headers' by
yourself since it is always run by Gnus (see the function
definition of `message-fix-before-sending') when sending a
message.

* a colon with forward-slashes kicks lines to the top - why?
@ 2006-09-04 18:02 Tomasz Mieszkowski
From: Tomasz Mieszkowski @ 2006-09-04 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello everyone,

I've been wrestling with this for quite long (without success), so maybe
here I'll find some light :)

The problem is when I use a combination of colon and forward-slashes (an
URL for example) in the body of my posts, the line which contains them,
irrespective of its original location, is moved somehow to the top when
I hit C-c C-c. Because of that, my posts are screwed quite often and I
have to supersede them. I thought that maybe article fontisizing is
responsible for this behavior, but it seems that it has nothing to do
with it. And the only function I have on message-send-news-hook is
message-sort-headers.

I'm using Gnus 5.11/Emacs 22.0.50.1 (from Carbon Emacs package), but
with tty Gnus 5.9/Emacs 21.2.1 (part of the Mac OS X installation)
problem was exactly the same.

Any ideas, hints..?

Thanks for your time,
tomek