* 5.8.2 bug: test тестtéßt test
@ 1999-12-17  9:31 Vladimir Volovich
From: Vladimir Volovich @ 1999-12-17  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

[resending as gnus.org was down]

Hi,

when sending a message with this subject, gnus encodes non-ascii text
as encoded-word, and as a result, the space between a cyrillic word
(koi8-r) and a latin-1 word is lost. This rule was already discussed
in this list (in a different thread):

RFC 2047 says:

RFC-2047> When displaying a particular header field that contains
RFC-2047> multiple 'encoded-word's, any 'linear-white-space' that
RFC-2047> separates a pair of adjacent 'encoded-word's is ignored.
RFC-2047> (This is to allow the use of multiple 'encoded-word's to
RFC-2047> represent long strings of unencoded text, without having to
RFC-2047> separate 'encoded-word's where spaces occur in the unencoded
RFC-2047> text.)

The subject contained a cyrillic word and a latin-1 word separated by
a real space. Gnus encoded both words as encoded-word, but not encoded
a space between them. As a result, this space is ignored when
displaying the subject.

Best regards, Vladimir.

P.S. and one more bug, which is supposedly fixed according to

when i try to send a mail which body contains a text which is in the
subject of this letter, i get the following error:

Signaling: (wrong-type-argument arrayp nil)
  get-charset-property(iso-8859-1 preferred-coding-system)
  #[(x) "\bС=┐\b
  mapcar(#[(x) "\bС=┐\b
  find-coding-systems-for-charsets((iso-8859-1 koi8-r))
  mm-find-mime-charset-region(264 476)
  mml-parse-1()
  mml-parse()
  mml-generate-mime()
  message-encode-message-body()
  message-send-mail(nil)
  message-send-via-mail(nil)
  message-send(nil)
  message-send-and-exit(nil)
  call-interactively(message-send-and-exit)

This is on Emacs 20.5, gnus 5.8.2

* Re: 5.8.2 bug: test тест téßt test
@ 2000-04-21 17:25 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2000-04-21 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Vladimir Volovich <vvv@vvv.vsu.ru> writes:

> when sending a message with this subject, gnus encodes non-ascii text
> as encoded-word, and as a result, the space between a cyrillic word
> (koi8-r) and a latin-1 word is lost. This rule was already discussed
> in this list (in a different thread):
>
> RFC 2047 says:
>
> RFC-2047> When displaying a particular header field that contains
> RFC-2047> multiple 'encoded-word's, any 'linear-white-space' that
> RFC-2047> separates a pair of adjacent 'encoded-word's is ignored.
> RFC-2047> (This is to allow the use of multiple 'encoded-word's to
> RFC-2047> represent long strings of unencoded text, without having to
> RFC-2047> separate 'encoded-word's where spaces occur in the unencoded
> RFC-2047> text.)
>
> The subject contained a cyrillic word and a latin-1 word separated by
> a real space. Gnus encoded both words as encoded-word, but not encoded
> a space between them. As a result, this space is ignored when
> displaying the subject.

Oh dear.

So should the rfc2047 algorithm be:

1) find all words (or phrases) to encode
2) encode all the words or phrases
3) if there are now two encoded words after each other, we encode a
   space in between them?

* Re: 5.8.2 bug: test тест téßt test
@ 2000-04-21 17:26   ` Shenghuo ZHU
From: Shenghuo ZHU @ 2000-04-21 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

LMI> Vladimir Volovich <vvv@vvv.vsu.ru> writes:
>> when sending a message with this subject, gnus encodes non-ascii text
>> as encoded-word, and as a result, the space between a cyrillic word
>> (koi8-r) and a latin-1 word is lost. This rule was already discussed
>> in this list (in a different thread):
>>
>> RFC 2047 says:

RFC-2047> When displaying a particular header field that contains
RFC-2047> multiple 'encoded-word's, any 'linear-white-space' that
RFC-2047> separates a pair of adjacent 'encoded-word's is ignored.
RFC-2047> (This is to allow the use of multiple 'encoded-word's to
RFC-2047> represent long strings of unencoded text, without having to
RFC-2047> separate 'encoded-word's where spaces occur in the unencoded
RFC-2047> text.)

>> The subject contained a cyrillic word and a latin-1 word separated by
>> a real space. Gnus encoded both words as encoded-word, but not encoded
>> a space between them. As a result, this space is ignored when
>> displaying the subject.

LMI> Oh dear.

LMI> So should the rfc2047 algorithm be:

LMI> 1) find all words (or phrases) to encode
LMI> 2) encode all the words or phrases
LMI> 3) if there are now two encoded words after each other, we encode a
LMI>    space in between them?

I vaguely recall that I had fixed this bug. Please check the latest
version.

--
Shenghuo

* Re: 5.8.2 bug: test тест téßt test
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2000-04-21 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Shenghuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:

> I vaguely recall that I had fixed this bug. Please check the latest
> version.

Yup; everything seems to be working fine now.