* [BUG]Under Emacs 23, Gnus writes text properties to registry file
@ 2006-09-27  5:37 CHENG Gao
From: CHENG Gao @ 2006-09-27  5:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

I use Emacs 23 (built from Sep. 15 cvs source, under Windows and
MaxOSX). If I enable Gnus registry, Gnus writes text properties into
registry file, which makes it corrupt. I have to clear content of
.gnus.registry.eld to make Gnus run next time.

Normal registry entry should be like:
("<OKEAIPBCBJDEEPNNCNDCIEBIEAAA.aotto@aotto.com>" ((mtime 17689 63352 343000)) "nntp+news.gmane.org:gmane.mail.bogofilter.general")

and corrupted entry is like:
("<01c6e1ea$3abc65a0$2101a8c0@benqpw2wydthqi>" ((process (spam spam-use-move "nntp+news.gmane.org:gmane.emacs.cvs")) (mtime 17689 63689 625000)) "nntp+news.gmane.org:gmane.emacs.cvs")
("<2cd46e7f0609262059h652bf82ep64b2bfe56bf6da97@mail.gmail.com>" ((mtime 17689 63703 984000)) "nntp+news.gmane.org:gmane.emacs.devel") (#
("<jwv4puu2cya.fsf-monnier+emacs@gnu.org>" 0 39 (auto-composed nil)) ((mtime 17689 63703 984000)) "nntp+news.gmane.org:gmane.emacs.devel") (#

Please notice "(#" at the line end, and " 0 39 (auto-composed nil)".

Seems in gnus-registry.el, in function gnus-registry-cache-save,
,----
| (set-text-properties (point-min) (point-max) nil nil)
`----
does not work right.

I submitted this problem to gmane.emacs.devel, and was told this should
be reported to Gnus team.

Kenichi Handa said auto-composed is new Emacs 23 feature.

My registry related settings are:

,----
| (setq gnus-registry-max-entries 5
|       gnus-registry-use-long-group-names t)
|
| (gnus-registry-initialize)
`----
I set max entries to small value just to track the errors.

* Re: [BUG]Under Emacs 23, Gnus writes text properties to registry file
@ 2006-09-27 17:46 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2006-09-27 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On 27 Sep 2006, chenggao@gmail.com wrote:

> and corrupted entry is like:
> ("<01c6e1ea$3abc65a0$2101a8c0@benqpw2wydthqi>" ((process (spam spam-use-move
> 	"nntp+news.gmane.org:gmane.emacs.cvs")) (mtime 17689 63689 625000))
> 	"nntp+news.gmane.org:gmane.emacs.cvs")
> ("<2cd46e7f0609262059h652bf82ep64b2bfe56bf6da97@mail.gmail.com>" ((mtime 17689 63703 984000)) "nntp+news.gmane.org:gmane.emacs.devel") (#
> ("<jwv4puu2cya.fsf-monnier+emacs@gnu.org>" 0 39 (auto-composed nil)) ((mtime 17689 63703 984000)) "nntp+news.gmane.org:gmane.emacs.devel") (#
>
> Please notice "(#" at the line end, and " 0 39 (auto-composed nil)".
>
> Seems in gnus-registry.el, in function gnus-registry-cache-save,
> ,----
> | (set-text-properties (point-min) (point-max) nil nil)
> `----
> does not work right.

Hi,

I thought set-text-properties would solve this bug, when it's called
on the whole buffer.  I asked in the original newsgroup, and I'll ask
here: does anyone know why the bug is not solved with
set-text-properties?  Do I need to call set-text-properties on every
string before I put it in the buffer?

Sorry for the trouble.

Ted