* Re: Forging my return address with gnus
       [not found] ` <glm90mxe685.fsf@caffeine.mitre.org>
@ 1998-06-16 17:05   ` Christian Nybø
From: Christian Nybø @ 1998-06-16 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Justin Sheehy <justin@linus.mitre.org> writes:

> Forging your address is never a good idea.

Justin,
Does that apply to forging in general, or forging as a spam-protection
scheme?  The last I agree with, but I find it comfortable to use my
usual email addresses even if I'm in a different domain.

--
chr

* Re: Forging my return address with gnus
@ 1998-06-16 17:52     ` Justin Sheehy
From: Justin Sheehy @ 1998-06-16 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

chr@mediascience.no (Christian Nybø) writes:

> Justin Sheehy <justin@linus.mitre.org> writes:
>
> > Forging your address is never a good idea.

> Does that apply to forging in general, or forging as a spam-protection
> scheme?  The last I agree with, but I find it comfortable to use my
> usual email addresses even if I'm in a different domain.

I guess I don't know what you mean by a "different domain".

Sending email or news messages with an invalid address, as the
original poster was preparing to do, is always wrong.

-Justin

* Re: Forging my return address with gnus
@ 1998-06-16 18:19       ` Alan Shutko
From: Alan Shutko @ 1998-06-16 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

J> chr@mediascience.no (Christian Nybø) writes:

>> Does that apply to forging in general, or forging as a
>> spam-protection scheme?  The last I agree with, but I find it
>> comfortable to use my usual email addresses even if I'm in a
>> different domain.

J> I guess I don't know what you mean by a "different domain".

J> Sending email or news messages with an invalid address, as the
J> original poster was preparing to do, is always wrong.

For example, I post using the address of ats@acm.org, even though I'm
technically posting from the wustl. domain.

In cases like this, you're using a perfectly valid address (and
perhaps one which will remain valid much longer and you'd prefer
people to remember) but it may not technically be the mailbox at your
site.

I don't see a problem with it... if someone needs to know where my
posts cape from, they can read the headers.  But I'd rather not
enccourage people to respond to short-term email addresses, because
it's such a pain to convince them to change them when they've gone bad.

--
Alan Shutko <ats@acm.org> - By consent of the corrupted
The time for action is past!  Now is the time for senseless bickering.

* Re: Forging my return address with gnus
@ 1998-06-16 18:32       ` "Christian Nybø"
From: "Christian Nybø" @ 1998-06-16 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Justin Sheehy <justin@linus.mitre.org> writes:

> chr@mediascience.no (Christian Nybø) writes:
>
> > Justin Sheehy <justin@linus.mitre.org> writes:
> >
> > > Forging your address is never a good idea.
>
> > Does that apply to forging in general, or forging as a spam-protection
> > scheme?  The last I agree with, but I find it comfortable to use my
> > usual email addresses even if I'm in a different domain.
>
> I guess I don't know what you mean by a "different domain".

Domain as in domain name.  If I'm sending from a machine whose FDQN
has little to do with the domain at which I receive mail.

> Sending email or news messages with an invalid address, as the
> original poster was preparing to do, is always wrong.

Yup, no problem with that.

Will this qualify as forging my address:
	my home box is known as sgichr.sib.hl.no.  Still, I wish to
	send and receive mail as chr@mediascience.no.

Is there anything wrong with setting message-user-mail-address to
chr@mediascience.no, even if I don't use the MTA at mediascience.no
when sending mail?
--
chr

* Re: Forging my return address with gnus
@ 1998-06-16 18:54         ` Justin Sheehy
From: Justin Sheehy @ 1998-06-16 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)