* IAMP4 Support Available?
@ 1998-06-16 13:54 Jake Colman
From: Jake Colman @ 1998-06-16 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Can/does Emacs 20.x support IMAP4 protocol?  We are switching to a M$ Exchange
Server for mail and they would prefer I use IMAP4 instead of POP.

Thanx!

--
Jake Colman

Principia Partners LLC                  Phone: (201) 946-0300
Harborside Financial Center               Fax: (201) 946-0320
902 Plaza II                           Beeper: (800) 505-2795
Jersey City, NJ 07311                  E-mail: colman@ppllc.com
                                       E-mail: jcolman@jnc.com
                                          web: http://www.ppllc.com

* Re: IAMP4 Support Available?
@ 1998-06-16 14:12 ` Justin Sheehy
From: Justin Sheehy @ 1998-06-16 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jake Colman <colman@ppllc.com> writes:

> Can/does Emacs 20.x support IMAP4 protocol?

Sadly, no.

Not yet, anyway.

-Justin

* Re: IAMP4 Support Available?
@ 1998-07-23 12:38 ` Jochen_Hayek
From: Jochen_Hayek @ 1998-07-23 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

    JC> Can/does Emacs 20.x support IMAP4 protocol?

    JC> We are switching to a M$ Exchange Server for mail and they
    JC> would prefer I use IMAP4 instead of POP.

Use the stand alone tool `fetchmail' to fetch your e-mail to your box,
then use what ever you want to read you e-mail.
.

* Re: IAMP4 Support Available?
@ 1998-07-23 12:51   ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 1998-07-23 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

JC> Can/does Emacs 20.x support IMAP4 protocol?

JC> We are switching to a M$ Exchange Server for mail and they
JC> would prefer I use IMAP4 instead of POP.

> Use the stand alone tool `fetchmail' to fetch your e-mail to your
> box, then use what ever you want to read you e-mail.  .

	<URL:http://earthspace.net/~esr/fetchmail/>

* Re: IAMP4 Support Available?
@ 1998-07-23 14:49   ` William M. Perry
From: William M. Perry @ 1998-07-23 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Jochen_Hayek@ACM.org writes:

>     JC> Can/does Emacs 20.x support IMAP4 protocol?
>
>     JC> We are switching to a M$ Exchange Server for mail and they
>     JC> would prefer I use IMAP4 instead of POP.
>
> Use the stand alone tool `fetchmail' to fetch your e-mail to your box,
> then use what ever you want to read you e-mail.  .

  Yes, but then you don't get all the spiffiness of IMAP.  I work remotely
from indiana and commute to seattle once every 5 weeks or so.  My setup
here, since we use POP exclusively right now, is using my laptop as an NFS
server for my mail directories, and just have symlinks from my various
machines.  But that entails hauling my laptop with me, which I'd rather not
have to do (it's a halfway decent 586/100, but I'd prefer to let my son use
it).

  So, native IMAP support would kick ass.  Just another whiner who doesn't
know enough about IMAP or have any free time anymore to hack on it even if
I did. :(

-Bill P.

* Re: IAMP4 Support Available?
@ 1998-07-23 15:07     ` Jake Colman
From: Jake Colman @ 1998-07-23 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

    William>   Yes, but then you don't get all the spiffiness of IMAP.  I work
    William> remotely from indiana and commute to seattle once every 5 weeks or
    William> so.  My setup here, since we use POP exclusively right now, is
    William> using my laptop as an NFS server for my mail directories, and just
    William> have symlinks from my various machines.  But that entails hauling
    William> my laptop with me, which I'd rather not have to do (it's a halfway
    William> decent 586/100, but I'd prefer to let my son use it).

    William>   So, native IMAP support would kick ass.  Just another whiner who
    William> doesn't know enough about IMAP or have any free time anymore to
    William> hack on it even if I did. :(

An nnimap backend is currently being beta tested and is actually working quite
well.  Additional beta testers would be welcome.

--

@ 1998-07-23 15:12       ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 1998-07-23 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> So, native IMAP support would kick ass.  Just another whiner who
>> doesn't know enough about IMAP or have any free time anymore to
>> hack on it even if I did. :(

> An nnimap backend is currently being beta tested and is actually
> working quite well.  Additional beta testers would be welcome.

This is a continuation of John Prevost's work on nnimap, see
	<URL:http://www.ccs.neu.edu/software/contrib/gnus/#Q4_13>
or if you're impatient, go directly to
	<URL:http://vic20.dzp.se/gnus-imap/>

- Steinar