* Feature request: Show dormants when entering group
@ 2001-01-05 23:23 Jari Aalto+mail.emacs
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Jari Aalto+mail.emacs @ 2001-01-05 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

I use dormants for "todo" entries and not really for what they
are orgiinally menat for. This means, that I always like to see
the buffer generated with dormant, but in current gnus that is not
possible. A separate "limit" is needed to show them.

It would be easy to add a configuration variable if dormants
are included in thread creation.

I could make the patch if Gnus dev team accepts the change.
Only function gnus-summary-limit-children needs a small twist.

Jari

--
http://tiny-tools.sourceforge.net/

* Re: Feature request: Show dormants when entering group
@ 2001-01-06  0:57 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2001-01-06  0:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

jari.aalto@poboxes.com (Jari Aalto+mail.emacs) writes:

> I use dormants for "todo" entries and not really for what they
> are orgiinally menat for. This means, that I always like to see
> the buffer generated with dormant, but in current gnus that is not
> possible.

Uhm -- the only essential difference between dormant and ticked
articles is that dormant articles aren't shown (unless they have
follow-ups).  So what don't you just tick the articles instead?

* Re: Feature request: Show dormants when entering group
@ 2001-01-06  4:13   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2001-01-06  4:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

> jari.aalto@poboxes.com (Jari Aalto+mail.emacs) writes:
>
> > I use dormants for "todo" entries and not really for what they
> > are orgiinally menat for. This means, that I always like to see
> > the buffer generated with dormant, but in current gnus that is not
> > possible.
>
> Uhm -- the only essential difference between dormant and ticked
> articles is that dormant articles aren't shown (unless they have
> follow-ups).  So what don't you just tick the articles instead?

Another thing... I haven't tested it thoroughly but I think if you
press `/ D' in a group, it will still show dormant the next time you
enter too.  That is, press  `/ D', close the group, come back later
and reopen it... dormant will be displayed.

* Re: Feature request: Show dormants when entering group
@ 2001-01-06 12:53 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-01-06 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wild stab in the dark: you are using total-expire and tick the
messages that you want to keep around.  And so you think that you need
dormant for the todo items.

Ideas: use auto-expire instead, then you can mark as read the articles
you want to keep around, and then you can use the tick mark for todo
items.

Another idea: use dormant for the articles you keep around and ticked
for the todo items.

kai
--
~/.signature

* Re: Feature request: Show dormants when entering group
@ 2001-01-07 10:18 ` Paul Stevenson
From: Paul Stevenson @ 2001-01-07 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

jari.aalto@poboxes.com (Jari Aalto+mail.emacs) writes:

> I use dormants for "todo" entries and not really for what they
> are orgiinally menat for. This means, that I always like to see
> the buffer generated with dormant, but in current gnus that is not
> possible. A separate "limit" is needed to show them.

WIBNI (count this as a feature request if you like) There were
user-definable marks?  That is, the user could create a new kind of
mark and give it various characteristics like "read but not answered,
although I would like to, unless its past a week old, then I don't
care" or indeed a "todo" mark.

Then one could have a virtual group with all your mail in it, and with
a suitable hook upon entering it could be limited to all those
articles bearing gnus-user-mark-B and, lo, you have your todo group...

* Re: Feature request: Show dormants when entering group
@ 2001-01-07 14:51   ` Jari Aalto+mail.emacs
From: Jari Aalto+mail.emacs @ 2001-01-07 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

* 2001-01-06 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> list.emacs-ding
| jari.aalto@poboxes.com (Jari Aalto+mail.emacs) writes:
|
| > I use dormants for "todo" entries and not really for what they
| > are orgiinally menat for. This means, that I always like to see
| > the buffer generated with dormant, but in current gnus that is not
| > possible.
|
| Uhm -- the only essential difference between dormant and ticked
| articles is that dormant articles aren't shown (unless they have
| follow-ups).  So what don't you just tick the articles instead?

It's too little. In real I would like to have various marks
in the article according to their importance. I use

    ! for hihjly important
    ? For later ...

That makes a life little easier. In addition I have font-lock
on, which colours according to TICK, so I can keep up with the
progress.

Ah, and I also disengage "*" for other purposes when I'm
really out of article markings, guess for what .... (It's
not that bad, since de-asterisking will remove the cache file)

Jari

From: Jari Aalto+mail.emacs @ 2001-01-07 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

* 2001-01-05 Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> list.emacs-ding
| Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
|
| > jari.aalto@poboxes.com (Jari Aalto+mail.emacs) writes:
| >
| > > I use dormants for "todo" entries and not really for what they
| > > are orgiinally menat for. This means, that I always like to see
| > > the buffer generated with dormant, but in current gnus that is not
| > > possible.
| >
| > Uhm -- the only essential difference between dormant and ticked
| > articles is that dormant articles aren't shown (unless they have
| > follow-ups).  So what don't you just tick the articles instead?
|
| Another thing... I haven't tested it thoroughly but I think if you
| press `/ D' in a group, it will still show dormant the next time you
| enter too.  That is, press  `/ D', close the group, come back later
| and reopen it... dormant will be displayed.

But that's a second hand solution. Pressing / will re-generate whole
buffer, imagine 200 + articles, even more....

And pressing / D in every 20 groups when I launch gnus.

I would really like Gnus to allow showing dormants in the fist
buffer creation pass.

And this is easy to implement, if I get permission to muck the
code and make a patch.

Jari

* Re: Feature request: Show dormants when entering group
@ 2001-01-07 19:24     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-01-07 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 07 Jan 2001, Jari Aalto wrote:

> It's too little. In real I would like to have various marks
> in the article according to their importance.

Somebody said something about user-defined marks a while ago.  Not
sure what became of it, though.

You might be able to kluge it with editing the article and inserting a
header.  And then you can add that header to gnus-extra-headers and
nnmail-extra-headers.  And `/ x' allows you to limit to those.

kai
--
~~/.signature