* When groups arrive
@ 2010-10-31  1:33 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2010-10-31  1:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I've noticed when running in `topic' mode, if you press Shift-F to see
if any new groups have arrived... assuming some groups have arrived....

I cannot find them.

This particular time I was told 41 new groups had arrived, but the
*Group* buffer did not appear to have changed.

Is it necessary to leave `t' (Topic mode) to check on new groups? Or
is there some specific place they should appear?

* Re: When groups arrive
@ 2010-11-01 18:04 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-11-01 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> I've noticed when running in `topic' mode, if you press Shift-F to see
> if any new groups have arrived... assuming some groups have arrived....
>
> I cannot find them.

Perhaps they appeared in topics that you've closed?  Perhaps Gnus should
show all the new groups no matter where they appear...

> Is it necessary to leave `t' (Topic mode) to check on new groups? Or
> is there some specific place they should appear?

Not unless you've configured them to appear somewhere specific.

* Re: When groups arrive
@ 2010-11-02  1:58 ` Rupert Swarbrick
From: Rupert Swarbrick @ 2010-11-02  1:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> I've noticed when running in `topic' mode, if you press Shift-F to see
> if any new groups have arrived... assuming some groups have arrived....
>
> I cannot find them.
>
> This particular time I was told 41 new groups had arrived, but the
> *Group* buffer did not appear to have changed.
>
> Is it necessary to leave `t' (Topic mode) to check on new groups? Or
> is there some specific place they should appear?

Have you tried doing something like "A m ." to list all the groups
rather than just ones to which you're subscribed?

Rupert

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 315 bytes --]

* Re: When groups arrive
@ 2010-11-05 11:45   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2010-11-05 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Rupert Swarbrick <rswarbrick@gmail.com> writes:

> Have you tried doing something like "A m ." to list all the groups
> rather than just ones to which you're subscribed?

Yes, that was my first try.

However I have such a large number, and not knowing names I'm looking
for I is a bit of a chore to determine what is new.

* Re: When groups arrive
@ 2010-11-05 11:47   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2010-11-05 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>> I've noticed when running in `topic' mode, if you press Shift-F to see
>> if any new groups have arrived... assuming some groups have arrived....
>>
>> I cannot find them.
>
> Perhaps they appeared in topics that you've closed?  Perhaps Gnus should
> show all the new groups no matter where they appear...
>
>> Is it necessary to leave `t' (Topic mode) to check on new groups? Or
>> is there some specific place they should appear?
>
> Not unless you've configured them to appear somewhere specific.

I'll admit I haven't searched the manual for this... but can you give
a clue as to how such a configuration might be made or where one can
read about it?

* Re: When groups arrive
@ 2010-11-05 19:59     ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2010-11-05 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harry Putnam; +Cc: ding

> Rupert Swarbrick <rswarbrick@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Have you tried doing something like "A m ." to list all the groups
>> rather than just ones to which you're subscribed?
>
> Yes, that was my first try.
>
> However I have such a large number, and not knowing names I'm looking
> for I is a bit of a chore to determine what is new.

The default is to subscribe new groups as zombies, so A z should do it.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org

* Re: When groups arrive
@ 2010-11-05 22:52       ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2010-11-05 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Andreas Schwab <schwab@linux-m68k.org> writes:

>> Rupert Swarbrick <rswarbrick@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Have you tried doing something like "A m ." to list all the groups
>>> rather than just ones to which you're subscribed?
>>
>> Yes, that was my first try.
>>
>> However I have such a large number, and not knowing names I'm looking
>> for I is a bit of a chore to determine what is new.
>
> The default is to subscribe new groups as zombies, so A z should do it.

A z shows 2790 groups. Determining which are new is a non-starter.

I see language in the manual on this topic that seems to indicate I
could create a `Topic parameter' with a catchall regex for a name, and any
new groups that match would go there.

-------        ---------       ---=---       ---------      --------
`gnus-subscribe-topics'
     Put the groups into the topic that has a matching `subscribe' topic
     parameter (*note Topic Parameters::).  For instance, a `subscribe'
     topic parameter that looks like

          "nnslashdot"

     will mean that all groups that match that regex will be subscribed
     under that topic.

     If no topics match the groups, the groups will be subscribed in the
     top-level topic.

from: (info "(gnus)Subscription Methods")

I was somewhat confused with that as it does not spell out what this
might look like in use.

The reference to `Topic Parameters'  (info "(gnus)Topic Parameters")
Further confused me until I'm not sure where or what syntax would be
needed to do something like:

Use a `Topic parameter like  `.' (dot)  to  catch any new groups from now on?

Can anyone show an example of how that might be done?

* Re: When groups arrive
@ 2010-11-06  9:43         ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2010-11-06  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harry Putnam; +Cc: ding

> A z shows 2790 groups. Determining which are new is a non-starter.

If you kill them now the new ones will be easy to spot in future.

Andreas.

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-11-08 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> I'll admit I haven't searched the manual for this... but can you give
> a clue as to how such a configuration might be made or where one can
> read about it?

`gnus-subscribe-newsgroup-method' and friends.