* Mail sending fails
@ 2003-03-12 15:20 Jørn Helge B. Dahl
From: Jørn Helge B. Dahl @ 2003-03-12 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all.

Since this morning I've had some trouble sending mail w/gnus.  I sit on a
RedHat 8.0 machine, I use the latest Oort of this morning and emacs 21.2.1 of
standard RedHat.  The only obvious thing different from the last time it
worked is an installation of w3m-el, which I later removed.  Other than that,
I have not been fiddling with .gnus for a while.  On the other hand I haven't
restartet emacs and gnus for a couple of days either, so who knows :-)

The relevant section of my .gnus:

(setq smtpmail-smtp-server "carl.deich.folkebibl.no")
(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)

Is there anything else I need to do?  Looking at the docs it seems that this
should be enough.

And, I threw in this to see if I could get something useful out of it:

(setq smtpmail-debug-info t)

but there's no SMTP debug buffer there at all, before it fails.

What is also strange, is that if I try to customize smtpmail after I load
gnus, the group is empty.

Debugger trace:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument stringp nil)
  open-network-stream("SMTP" #<buffer *trace of SMTP session to nil*> nil "smtp")
  apply(open-network-stream ("SMTP" #<buffer *trace of SMTP session to nil*> nil "smtp"))
  binary-funcall(open-network-stream "SMTP" #<buffer *trace of SMTP session to nil*> nil "smtp")
  smtp-open-connection(#<buffer *trace of SMTP session to nil*> nil "smtp")
  smtp-send-buffer("jornhd@torfeus.deich.folkebibl.no" ("jornhd@deich.folkebibl.no") #<buffer  smtpmail temp>)
  smtpmail-send-it()
  message-smtpmail-send-it()
  gnus-agent-send-mail()
  message-send-mail(nil)
  message-send-via-mail(nil)
  message-send(nil)
  message-send-and-exit()
  gnus-draft-send(29 "nndraft:drafts" t)
  gnus-draft-send-message(nil)
  call-interactively(gnus-draft-send-message)

Looking at the trace it seems that there is no server that smtpmail can send
to, and that that is the error, but I'm nothing of a hacker here, so that is
just a guess.

Doing a M-: smtpmail-smtp-server when in the buffer of the failed mail returns
"carl.deich.folkebibl.no", though.

Thanks,
--
Jørn Helge B. Dahl

* Re: Mail sending fails
@ 2003-03-12 15:51 ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2003-03-12 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Jørn Helge B. Dahl" <jornhd@deich.folkebibl.no> writes:

> Since this morning I've had some trouble sending mail w/gnus.  I sit on a
> RedHat 8.0 machine, I use the latest Oort of this morning and emacs 21.2.1 of
> standard RedHat.  The only obvious thing different from the last time it
> worked is an installation of w3m-el, which I later removed.  Other than that,
> I have not been fiddling with .gnus for a while.  On the other hand I haven't
> restartet emacs and gnus for a couple of days either, so who knows :-)

Your problem is FLIM -- remove the FLIM package and the problem will go
away.

* Re: Mail sending fails
@ 2003-03-12 16:15   ` Jørn Helge B. Dahl
From: Jørn Helge B. Dahl @ 2003-03-12 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Jesper Harder <harder@myrealbox.com>

> Your problem is FLIM -- remove the FLIM package and the problem will go
> away.

Definately.  Thank you so much.
--
Jørn Helge B. Dahl

* Re: Mail sending fails
@ 2003-03-14 16:49     ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2003-03-14 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

"Jørn Helge B. Dahl" <jornhd@deich.folkebibl.no> writes:

> * Jesper Harder <harder@myrealbox.com>
>
>> Your problem is FLIM -- remove the FLIM package and the problem will go
>> away.
>
> Definately.  Thank you so much.

Maybe someone could report this to RedHat so they can fix it.

* Re: Mail sending fails
@ 2003-03-17 16:06       ` Jørn Helge B. Dahl
From: Jørn Helge B. Dahl @ 2003-03-17 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com>

> Maybe someone could report this to RedHat so they can fix it.

That'll be me, I guess :-) If I can only find out where to send that e-mail
:-/ The web pages isn't very helpful in pointing that out, I think.
--
Jørn Helge B. Dahl

* Re: Mail sending fails
@ 2003-03-17 16:47         ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2003-03-17 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

"Jørn Helge B. Dahl" <jornhd@deich.folkebibl.no> writes:

> * Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com>
>
>> Maybe someone could report this to RedHat so they can fix it.
>
> That'll be me, I guess :-) If I can only find out where to send that e-mail
> :-/ The web pages isn't very helpful in pointing that out, I think.

I believe they prefer to receive bug reports through
<http://bugzilla.redhat.com/>.

* Re: Mail sending fails
@ 2003-03-12 15:52 ` Jørn Helge B. Dahl
From: Jørn Helge B. Dahl @ 2003-03-12 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sorry for the twin posting, caused by today's general sending/posting
confusions. :-/
--
Jørn Helge B. Dahl

* Mail sending fails
@ 2003-03-12 15:18 Jørn Helge B. Dahl
From: Jørn Helge B. Dahl @ 2003-03-12 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

[...]

Debugger trace (sorry for the long lines):