* viewing problems with certain attachments
@ 2002-08-27  4:05 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2002-08-27  4:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've gotten a few attachments lately, not sure they were the same
kind because I haven't been interested enough to look into it.
Reconizing them as spam even without opening.

Howvever today I decided to open one, since several have sailed right
thru my spamassassin filters.

I could see it was a hefty size in the summary buffer.  The subject
line seems to suggest some kind of porn:

  1   26-Aug [2136: postmaster          ] Returned mail--"darling"

Quite large for text or even html.

Pressing <ENTER> on it in summary buffer opens a buffer showing my
preferred headers and nothing else:

  From: postmaster <postmaster@newsguy.com>
  Subject: Returned mail--"darling"
  To: reader@newsguy.com
  Date: 26 Aug 2002 13:20:56 -1000

  <no body>

Hitting `t' to see all headers, I find this `Content Type':
  [...]
  [...]

But no mime part button (or anything else) appears in body.
Gnus just can't see it at all apparently

Run C-u g, and below the first blank line I find this info:
   --P01y762H4wp70wtQ0J52De

  <HTML><HEAD></HEAD><BODY>

  <FONT>The following mail can't be sent to photos@cartelbpo.com:<br>
  From: reader@newsguy.com<br>
  To: photos@cartelbpo.com<br>
  Subject: darling<br>
  The attachment is the original mail</FONT></BODY></HTML>

  --P01y762H4wp70wtQ0J52De

[...] snip mime encoded stuff [2117 lines]
  --P01y762H4wp70wtQ0J52De--

What is the `*.scr' extension and why doesn't gnus show me something,
or at least tell me something is there?  Is it likely to be  my
settings?  Apparently not /etc/mailcap since mutt sees it.

Saving this message with C-o {unix-message format[mbox]) and opening
it with mutt shows me this:

 From: postmaster <postmaster@newsguy.com>
 To: reader@newsguy.com
 Date: 26 Aug 2002 13:20:56 -1000

 [-- Autoview using lynx -dump '/tmp/mutt.html' --]

   The following mail can't be sent to photos@cartelbpo.com:
   From: reader@newsguy.com
   To: photos@cartelbpo.com
   Subject: darling
   The attachment is the original mail

Then pressing `v' for view, shows:

  I     1 <no description>                     [multipa/alternativ, 7bit, 150K]
  I     2 tq><no description>               [text/html, quoted, us-ascii, 0.2K]
  I     3 tq>color.scr                       [applica/octet-stre, base64, 115K]
  I     4 mq><no description>               [text/plain, 7bit, iso-8859-1, 35K]

What do I need to do for Gnus to know what this is, and tell me
something?

I've posted the actual message online (hopefully it isn't a virus or
something nasty) here:
(to view)
  http://www.jtan.com/~reader/exp/test.msg.html
(to download)
  http://www.jtan.com/~reader/exp/test.msg

* Re: viewing problems with certain attachments
@ 2002-08-27 14:25 ` Remco B. Brink
From: Remco B. Brink @ 2002-08-27 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

> What is the `*.scr' extension

It's an file extension for Windows screensavers.

If you get it sent to you as an attachment, you can bet your farm it's
most likely a worm, virus or trojan.

-rbb

--
   Remco B. Brink -- Information Systems Developer, Opera Software ASA
Personal site at http://rc6.org - PGP/GnuPG key at http://rc6.org/rbb.pgp

   Everybody has to call me "Bluto" from now on.
          -- Mr. Bad

* Re: viewing problems with certain attachments
@ 2002-08-27 15:28 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2002-08-27 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> But no mime part button (or anything else) appears in body.

MIME buttons are not shown by default.  Try `K b'.  Or `C-d'.

> Gnus just can't see it at all apparently

For me, Gnus displays the third part, an empty part, which is
preferred over the text/html and other stuff.

* Re: viewing problems with certain attachments
@ 2002-08-27 16:52   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2002-08-27 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> But no mime part button (or anything else) appears in body.
>
> MIME buttons are not shown by default.  Try `K b'.  Or `C-d'.

They seem to be displayed here if the attachment is a jpeg or may
other common image formats.  Isn't that a default?

>> Gnus just can't see it at all apparently
>
> For me, Gnus displays the third part, an empty part, which is
> preferred over the text/html and other stuff.

Is this the same as what I described as having no body?  Sounds like
yes.  But shouldn't there be some indication that something is infact
in this message?

* Re: viewing problems with certain attachments
@ 2002-08-27 16:53   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2002-08-27 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

remco@rc6.org (Remco B. Brink) writes:

>> What is the `*.scr' extension
>
> It's an file extension for Windows screensavers.
>
> If you get it sent to you as an attachment, you can bet your farm it's
> most likely a worm, virus or trojan.

How can I tell if its an attachemt or not?  Gnus had nothing to say
on the matter.

But should I take the web file down?  The downloadable one I mean?

* Re: viewing problems with certain attachments
@ 2002-08-27 16:55   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2002-08-27 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

remco@rc6.org (Remco B. Brink) writes:

> If you get it sent to you as an attachment, you can bet your farm it's
> most likely a worm, virus or trojan.

Online download now removed, but the viewable webpage remains.

* Re: viewing problems with certain attachments
@ 2002-08-27 18:22     ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2002-08-27 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> writes:
>
>> Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> writes:
>>
>>> But no mime part button (or anything else) appears in body.
>>
>> MIME buttons are not shown by default.  Try `K b'.  Or `C-d'.
>
> They seem to be displayed here if the attachment is a jpeg or may
> other common image formats.  Isn't that a default?

There are no buttons when things are inlined, I think.  In this case,
the multipart/alternative part (and the preferred sub-part) was shown
inlined.  Try:

(setq gnus-buttonized-mime-types '("multipart/alternative"))

>>> Gnus just can't see it at all apparently
>>
>> For me, Gnus displays the third part, an empty part, which is
>> preferred over the text/html and other stuff.
>
> Is this the same as what I described as having no body?  Sounds like
> yes.

Yup.  The MIME part was empty in the mail.

> But shouldn't there be some indication that something is infact in
> this message?

IMHO no.  The sender sent four parts marked as multipart/alternative,
and Gnus presented the preferred part to you (which happened to be
empty).  If the sender doesn't want the client to make this decision,
it shouldn't use multipart/alternative.  But I guess this is scenario
where most clients out there are just broken.  At least it is
configurable.