* National characters in group names
@ 2002-05-18 21:09 Thomas Skogestad
From: Thomas Skogestad @ 2002-05-18 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

With all this support for MIME and shmime and UTF and all other wonderful
things in newer Gnusae and Emacsen, how am I supposed to read
norge.sør-trøndelag?

(You probably don't have this group, but it's available at
news.norge.usenet.no)

Retrieving newsgroup: norge.sør-trøndelag...
Opening nntp server on news.uio.no...

411 No such group norge.sør-trøndelag
gnus-select-newsgroup: Couldn't request group norge.sør-trøndelag: 411 No
such group norge.sør-trøndelag

If I browse the above mentioned news server, things work just fine there.
Things are also fine if I type A A and get a listing of all groups, I can
select norge.sør-trøndelag without problems.

But I cannot type the name directly. ... This also applies to
j nntp+news.norge.usenet.no:norge.sør-trøndelag.

If I try that I get:
news.norge.usenet.no+norge.sør-trøndelag
in the group buffer.

--
http://tiny-tools.sourceforge.net/emacs-elisp.html
http://linuxguiden.linpro.no/pollBooth.php?pollID=7

* Re: National characters in group names
@ 2002-05-18 23:25 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2002-05-18 23:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Thomas Skogestad <tskogest@jusstud.uio.no> writes:

> With all this support for MIME and shmime and UTF and all other wonderful
> things in newer Gnusae and Emacsen, how am I supposed to read
> norge.sør-trøndelag?
>
> (You probably don't have this group, but it's available at
> news.norge.usenet.no)
>
> Retrieving newsgroup: norge.sør-trøndelag...
> Opening nntp server on news.uio.no...
>
> 411 No such group norge.sør-trøndelag
> gnus-select-newsgroup: Couldn't request group norge.sør-trøndelag: 411 No
> such group norge.sør-trøndelag
>
> If I browse the above mentioned news server, things work just fine there.
> Things are also fine if I type A A and get a listing of all groups, I can
> select norge.sør-trøndelag without problems.

Use `u' in the server buffer to subscribe to the group.

> But I cannot type the name directly. ... This also applies to
> j nntp+news.norge.usenet.no:norge.sør-trøndelag.
>
> If I try that I get:
> news.norge.usenet.no+norge.sør-trøndelag
> in the group buffer.

You probably enter Latin-1 characters then, which aren't the same as
UTF-8, so it doesn't work.  Either subscribe to the group from the
server buffer, or select the UTF-8 input method in emacs.