* Parent, Referenced, Threads and ANNOYANCES.
@ 2003-07-05  0:35 Matthias Andree
From: Matthias Andree @ 2003-07-05  0:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

for a long time now the "Fetch parent" (doesn't find the article),
"Fetch referenced" (retrieves some articles at best) and "Fetch thread"
(makes a total mess) aren't working correctly for me. In the same
context is the "can't mark article with negative number" (whatever the
exact wording) for articles that have been fetched with A R or ^: I may
want to mark the root of a thread unread.

They've been fine in the early Pterodactyl Gnus series, and broke some
while back. I'm not the only person to have difficulties with these
functions. I can't pinpoint the exact date when these functions
broke. Such breakage in a stable series isn't exactly making Gnus
attractive.

What is the reason why these reports are apparently getting ignored? Is
someone working on these? Should I file a bug? Did I forget to kill/edit
files when I updated? What other information do I have to provide so
someone can start looking at this?

Thanks in advance for any help that is not "switch newsreader".

--
Matthias Andree

* Re: Parent, Referenced, Threads and ANNOYANCES.
@ 2003-07-05  2:01 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2003-07-05  2:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Matthias Andree <ma@dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de> writes:

> What is the reason why these reports are apparently getting ignored?
> Is someone working on these? Should I file a bug? Did I forget to
> kill/edit files when I updated? What other information do I have to
> provide so someone can start looking at this?

In case you want to help track down the bug yourself: A little
detective work can be made even without knowing elisp (if you are a
elisp hacker, then straight edebug should be possible).  C-h f the
commands, find the file they are defined in, and search ChangeLog's
for changes to the functions, or if all else fails, a binary search
between a working Gnus version and the latest one.

I think sufficiently many people have now acknowledged that this bug
exists so further information on reproducing it isn't the missing
piece.

* Re: Parent, Referenced, Threads and ANNOYANCES.
@ 2003-07-07 23:45   ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2003-07-07 23:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Matthias Andree <ma@dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de> writes:
>
>> What is the reason why these reports are apparently getting ignored?
>> Is someone working on these? Should I file a bug? Did I forget to
>> kill/edit files when I updated? What other information do I have to
>> provide so someone can start looking at this?
>
> I think sufficiently many people have now acknowledged that this bug
> exists so further information on reproducing it isn't the missing
> piece.

Dunno ... I've never been able to reproduce it.

* Re: Parent, Referenced, Threads and ANNOYANCES.
@ 2003-10-17 22:18 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-10-17 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matthias Andree <ma@dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de> writes:

> In the same context is the "can't mark article with negative number"
> (whatever the exact wording) for articles that have been fetched
> with A R or ^: I may want to mark the root of a thread unread.

If Gnus doesn't know the article number, you can't mark those
articles.

> What is the reason why these reports are apparently getting ignored? Is
> someone working on these? Should I file a bug? Did I forget to kill/edit
> files when I updated? What other information do I have to provide so
> someone can start looking at this?

A test case that displays the problem?

* Re: Parent, Referenced, Threads and ANNOYANCES.
@ 2003-10-22 10:37   ` Matthias Andree
From: Matthias Andree @ 2003-10-22 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Matthias Andree <ma@dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de> writes:
>
>> In the same context is the "can't mark article with negative number"
>> (whatever the exact wording) for articles that have been fetched
>> with A R or ^: I may want to mark the root of a thread unread.
>
> If Gnus doesn't know the article number, you can't mark those
> articles.

Makes me wonder if this can be worked around with the reference fetching
(this some/all/... switch).

--
Matthias Andree