* Mule-UCS, Gnus, and Emacs 21
@ 2001-10-21 14:23 Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-10-21 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

>From time to time, I try Mule-UCS (0.84 currently) with Emacs 21 and
Gnus, but it produces b0rked UTF-8 encoding.  Normally, UTF-8 encoding
is produced when I respond to an iso-8859-15 posting with iso-8859-1
characters.  This causes Gnus to select UTF-8 as the encoding for the
outgoing message, but the result looks as if it UTF-8 encoded twice
(or so people tell me).

Has anybody here got any experience with that?  What to do?  Is it a
general problem with Mule-UCS, or with Gnus, or in the interaction of
the packages?

kai
--
Lisp is kinda like tpircstsoP

* Re: Mule-UCS, Gnus, and Emacs 21
@ 2001-10-21 14:38 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2001-10-21 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> From time to time, I try Mule-UCS (0.84 currently) with Emacs 21 and
> Gnus, but it produces b0rked UTF-8 encoding.  Normally, UTF-8 encoding
> is produced when I respond to an iso-8859-15 posting with iso-8859-1
> characters.  This causes Gnus to select UTF-8 as the encoding for the
> outgoing message, but the result looks as if it UTF-8 encoded twice
> (or so people tell me).
>
> Has anybody here got any experience with that?  What to do?  Is it a
> general problem with Mule-UCS, or with Gnus, or in the interaction of
> the packages?

FWIW I see the same problem.  I dropped Mule-UCS, it had other
problems for me and didn't seem to work well -- the builtin UTF-8
support in Emacs 21 seems to be enough for what I need, and more
robust as well -- especially after putting

       (set-coding-priority '(coding-category-utf-8))

in my .emacs so it detects Unicode files automagically.

Of course, it would be good if Mule-UCS + Gnus worked better.

* Re: Mule-UCS, Gnus, and Emacs 21
@ 2001-10-21 16:50   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-10-21 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Of course, it would be good if Mule-UCS + Gnus worked better.

Dave Love has said he wanted to release his Unicode stuff after 21.1
has been released, so maybe I just want to wait for that.

kai
--

@ 2001-10-21 17:11     ` Henrik Enberg
From: Henrik Enberg @ 2001-10-21 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> writes:
>
>> Of course, it would be good if Mule-UCS + Gnus worked better.
>
> Dave Love has said he wanted to release his Unicode stuff after 21.1
> has been released, so maybe I just want to wait for that.

Well, It has been released (but not announced).  So maybe someone cna
badger him for the code now.

Henrik
--
I'm CONTROLLED by the CIA!!  EVERYONE is controlled by the CIA!!

* Re: Mule-UCS, Gnus, and Emacs 21
@ 2001-10-21 17:29       ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-10-21 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Henrik Enberg <henrik@enberg.org> writes:

> Well, It has been released (but not announced).  So maybe someone cna
> badger him for the code now.

I wanted to give him more than just two hours of time to pack it all
up :-)

kai
--

@ 2001-10-21 17:49 ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2001-10-21 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From time to time, I try Mule-UCS (0.84 currently) with Emacs 21 and
> Gnus, but it produces b0rked UTF-8 encoding.

Er... _should_ you use Mule-UCS with Emacs 21?  Won't it conflict with
Emacs 21's own Unicode support?

* Re: Mule-UCS, Gnus, and Emacs 21
@ 2001-10-22  8:11   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-10-22  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:

>> From time to time, I try Mule-UCS (0.84 currently) with Emacs 21 and
>> Gnus, but it produces b0rked UTF-8 encoding.
>
> Er... _should_ you use Mule-UCS with Emacs 21?  Won't it conflict with
> Emacs 21's own Unicode support?

It seems that in fact there is some conflict.  But I've heard things
which lead me to the conclusion that Mule-UCS is _supposed_ to work
with Emacs 21.

Hm.

kai
--

@ 2001-10-22  9:47     ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2001-10-22  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Steinar Bang, ding

>>> From time to time, I try Mule-UCS (0.84 currently) with Emacs 21 and
>>> Gnus, but it produces b0rked UTF-8 encoding.
>>
>> Er... _should_ you use Mule-UCS with Emacs 21?  Won't it conflict with
>> Emacs 21's own Unicode support?
>
> It seems that in fact there is some conflict.  But I've heard things
> which lead me to the conclusion that Mule-UCS is _supposed_ to work
> with Emacs 21.

Emacs 21.1 PROBLEMS seem to suggest Mule-UCS for better Unicode
support.