* fill-prefix being set when using Gnus
@ 2002-06-07 16:13 Trey Jackson
From: Trey Jackson @ 2002-06-07 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

All,

I'm having a dickens of a time tracking down where the variable
'fill-prefix is being set.  Here's what's happening:

After staring up emacs, I make sure the default value for 'fill-prefix
is nil.  I go about my business, editing scripts, C++ code, and using
Gnus for mail/news.  At some point, I'll start composing a
follow-up/reply to someone's message, and the default value of
'fill-prefix will be set to " >".

I cannot figure out where this is happening.

My message-mode-hook is clean, I cannot find any occurrences of code
that would set it to " >" in my .emacs, or in any of the files in my load-path:

(igrep igrep-program
       "fill-prefix"
       (mapcar (lambda
                 (dir)
                 (concat dir
                         (if (string-match "/$" dir)
                             nil
                           "/")
                         "*.el"))
               load-path)
       igrep-options)

It's really bugging me, but I can't figure it out.
Any help out there?

TJ

ps. Oort Gnus v0.06, Emacs 20.7

pps. minor modes when replying are:

     Compiling MML Flyspell Sig-Quote Filladapt Abbrev Fill

Sig-Quote is my own mode for inserting signatures, the rest are pretty standard.

--
Trey Jackson
tjackson@ichips.intel.com

Q: Should I learn the parallel or telemark turn?
A: Shut up and ski!

* Re: fill-prefix being set when using Gnus
@ 2002-06-07 17:39 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2002-06-07 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Trey Jackson <tjackson@ichips.intel.com> writes:

> All,
>
> I'm having a dickens of a time tracking down where the variable
> 'fill-prefix is being set.  Here's what's happening:
>
> After staring up emacs, I make sure the default value for 'fill-prefix
> is nil.  I go about my business, editing scripts, C++ code, and using
> Gnus for mail/news.  At some point, I'll start composing a
> follow-up/reply to someone's message, and the default value of
> 'fill-prefix will be set to " >".
>
> I cannot figure out where this is happening.

flow-fill.el?  It does use a temporary binding, but there might be bad
magic inside some function it later calls.