* Fun with article highlighting
@ 2001-09-29  9:57 Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2001-09-29  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

[\b[[\b[P\bPG\bGP\bP \b S\bSi\big\bgn\bne\bed\bd \b P\bPa\bar\brt\bt:\b:O\bOK\bK]\b]]\b]

So, is this message properly signed or not?

:-)

(Some out-of-band mechanism to signal security status would be nice,
such as arrows in the fringe.  O well.)

[\b[[\b[E\bEn\bnd\bd \b o\bof\bf \b P\bPG\bGP\bP \b S\bSi\big\bgn\bne\bed\bd \b P\bPa\bar\brt\bt]\b]]\b]

* Re: Fun with article highlighting
@ 2001-09-30 12:51 ` Daniel Pittman
From: Daniel Pittman @ 2001-09-30 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 29 Sep 2001, Simon Josefsson wrote:
> [\b[[\b[P\bPG\bGP\bP \b S\bSi\big\bgn\bne\bed\bd \b P\bPa\bar\brt\bt:\b:O\bOK\bK]\b]]\b]
>
> So, is this message properly signed or not?

No, but that's because I customized my faces. :p

[...]

> (Some out-of-band mechanism to signal security status would be nice,
> such as arrows in the fringe.  O well.)

Something in the modeline for the article and summary buffers would be
nice. Summary, for me, anyway. :)

        Daniel

--
Man has a limited biological capacity for change. When this capacity is
overwhelmed the capacity is in future shock.

* Re: Fun with article highlighting
@ 2001-09-30 13:58   ` Raja R Harinath
From: Raja R Harinath @ 2001-09-30 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Daniel Pittman <daniel@rimspace.net> writes:

> Something in the modeline for the article and summary buffers would be
> nice. Summary, for me, anyway. :)

Isn't it already there?  You should see a 'p' in the flags part.

- Hari

* Re: Fun with article highlighting
@ 2001-09-30 15:37     ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2001-09-30 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Daniel Pittman, ding

Raja R Harinath <harinath@cs.umn.edu> writes:

>> Something in the modeline for the article and summary buffers would be
>> nice. Summary, for me, anyway. :)
>
> Isn't it already there?  You should see a 'p' in the flags part.

`p' doesn't say whether the signature was good or not.  So,
presumably, you could fake-sign your mail to get the `p' and then use
the article highlighting to make it look like a properly signed
message.

OTOH, I wonder how many people, that doesn't understand all these
issues anyway, uses PGP or SMIME.  The problem with security is that
99% of solutions require one month of training to be useful, and a
year of training to be secure.  It would be nice if Gnus was among the
1% but perhaps noone expects that.  (Especially since Gnus already
require a few years of training... :-))

* Re: Fun with article highlighting
@ 2001-10-01  5:06 ` Jorge Godoy
From: Jorge Godoy @ 2001-10-01  5:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> [\b[[\b[P\bPG\bGP\bP \b S\bSi\big\bgn\bne\bed\bd \b P\bPa\bar\brt\bt:\b:O\bOK\bK]\b]]\b]
>
> So, is this message properly signed or not?

As you can see by the strings you've putten above, you haven't even
signed it. :-)

This is nice to know that Gnus (gpg.el? mailcrypt?) actually puts your
fingerprint for keys you haven't signed and/or puts the user name for
signed keys. It is also nice to _always_ expand the "GPG Signed: OK"
message to be sure. ;-)

This shows that one cannot always trust in what he sees. :-)

> (Some out-of-band mechanism to signal security status would be nice,
> such as arrows in the fringe.  O well.)

??? I didn't understand it.

--
Godoy. <godoy@conectiva.com>

Solutions Developer       - Conectiva Inc. - http://en.conectiva.com
Desenvolvedor de Soluções - Conectiva S.A. - http://www.conectiva.com.br

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 231 bytes --]

* Re: Fun with article highlighting
@ 2001-10-01 20:14   ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2001-10-01 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Jorge Godoy <godoy@conectiva.com> writes:

>> (Some out-of-band mechanism to signal security status would be nice,
>> such as arrows in the fringe.  O well.)
>
> ??? I didn't understand it.

The article buffer is controlled by the possibly 3v1l people that send
mail, so the same buffer shouldn't be used to indicated security
status (because the look of the article buffer depends on what people
send).  If Gnus used the summary buffer, modeline, fringe or something
instead, all would be well.