* Gnus deletes message on imap-server
@ 2000-04-27  8:28 Peter Weiss - Sun Germany ENS Engineer Mission Critical - Munich
From: Peter Weiss - Sun Germany ENS Engineer Mission Critical - Munich @ 2000-04-27  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

With the following IMAP-setup gnus (5.8.3) copies all messages from the INBOX
to my homedir and deletes them on the server.

       (setq gnus-select-method            '(nnml "nnml")
             mail-sources '((imap :server      "emuc05-home"
                                  :mailbox     "/var/mail/pw105345"
                                  :user        "pw105345"
                                  :dontexpunge t))
             gnus-show-mime                nil
             gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnml "")
                                             (nnimap "emuc05-home")))

Is it possible to use gnus in the pine-way to read only the headers and
delete the messages on the server when expired?

 Thanks for hints -- Peter

--
Peter Weiss

CLASS Firmengruppe           phone  +49 (0)8151 / 991 - 512
Moosstrasse 7                fax    +49 (0)8151 / 991 - 229
D-82319 Starnberg            mobil  0172/ 83 79 125
http://www.class.de          mailto:Peter.Weiss@Class.de

* Re: Gnus deletes message on imap-server
@ 2000-04-27 10:07 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-04-27 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Peter Weiss - Sun Germany ENS Engineer Mission Critical - Munich <Peter.Weiss@germany.sun.com> writes:

> Is it possible to use gnus in the pine-way to read only the headers and
> delete the messages on the server when expired?

What is the pine way?

Note that there are two ways in Gnus to deal with IMAP.  One way is to
use an `imap' mail source.  This treats IMAP as if it was POP, ie Gnus
just reads the messages from there and saves them in the home dir.
This is not how IMAP was meant to be used.

The other way is to use nnimap.  This makes Gnus be a real IMAP
client.  It operates in online mode by default, but by using the agent
(search for `agent' and `unplugged' in the Gnus info file), you can
also use Gnus as an offline (disconnected mode) reader.

kai
--
Beware of flying birch trees.

* Re: Gnus deletes message on imap-server
@ 2000-04-27 11:56 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2000-04-27 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Peter Weiss - Sun Germany ENS Engineer Mission Critical - Munich <Peter.Weiss@germany.sun.com> writes:

> Is it possible to use gnus in the pine-way to read only the headers and
> delete the messages on the server when expired?

Yes, with nnimap.