* mail splitting and sieve
@ 2000-12-23 12:55 NAGY Andras
From: NAGY Andras @ 2000-12-23 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

The nnimal.el todo list contains

;;   o Sieve

This is a server-side mail filtering language, I've been told.  It'll
be available at our site in the near future, and we except a
performance improvement from using this, `background' splitting
method, instead of Gnus' `upon-request' way.  However, I like the
approach of storing splitting-related info where it belongs, that is,
along with group info, using Gnus' group parameters mechanism.  (You
probably guessed, I use group mail splitting.)

Therefore it would be nice if Gnus could generate a Sieve script from
an nnmail-split-fancy list and store it on the server.  I plan to
implement this, and wonder if anyone else has similar plans, either
regarding this specific problem or Sieve support in general.

Andras

* Re: mail splitting and sieve
@ 2000-12-23 15:00 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2000-12-23 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

NAGY Andras <nagya@inf.elte.hu> writes:

> The nnimal.el todo list contains
>
> ;;   o Sieve

Actually it has become a separate project, partially lost in a disk
crash a few weeks ago.  However, it should include a nice font-lock
mode for editing sieve scripts together with functionality for
uploading sieve scripts to your server.

> Therefore it would be nice if Gnus could generate a Sieve script from
> an nnmail-split-fancy list and store it on the server.  I plan to
> implement this, and wonder if anyone else has similar plans, either
> regarding this specific problem or Sieve support in general.

I'd like this.  Though, Sieve is not a turing complete language.  This
is by design, which IMHO is very unfortunate.  Perhaps it's mostly a
theoretic problem, you can probably manage to convert most split rules
anyway.