* to-address and other stuff
@ 2001-10-03 15:42 Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2001-10-03 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Should to-address be used for non-wide replies?
message-get-reply-headers looks buggy to me, but I want to be sure I
understand to-address before I try to fix it.

I get this warning when building current Oort:
While compiling gnus-summary-from-or-to-or-newsgroups in file /home/prj/src/gnus/lisp/gnus-sum.el:
  ** reference to free variable gnus-tmp-from

I don't know if this is a Gnus thing, a Customize thing, or an Emacs
thing, but it'd be nice if one could push the [More] button to see
what an option does without having to activate the option first.

paul

* Re: to-address and other stuff
@ 2001-10-03 17:57 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2001-10-03 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) writes:

> I get this warning when building current Oort:
> While compiling gnus-summary-from-or-to-or-newsgroups in file /home/prj/src/gnus/lisp/gnus-sum.el:
>   ** reference to free variable gnus-tmp-from

Fixed.

* mail-sources POP sets envelop from to :server, breaks stuff
@ 2001-10-03 20:19 ` Chris Shenton
From: Chris Shenton @ 2001-10-03 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

I was subscribing to a mailing list and wondered why it didn't work,
acted like the address I was coming from was wrong.  Upon further
investigation, it was setting the SMTP envelop From to "chris@hq.nasa.gov".
Turns out it was getting this from a recently added mail-sources
clause, which I recently added to get my mail via POP from my work:

(setq
 mail-sources '((maildir	:plugged	t) ; qmail ~/Maildir/ default
		(file		:path		"/home/chris/Mailbox"
				:plugged	t) ; qmail mbox (NOT maildir)
		(directory	:path		"/home/chris/newsfish/"
				:suffix		""
				:plugged	t)
		;; Seems to set envelop FROM to chris@mail.hq.nasa.gov
		;(pop		:server		"mail.hq.nasa.gov"
		;		:user		"cshenton"
		;		:password	"don'task"
		;		:authentication	'apop)
		)

Interestingly it did NOT set the envelop From addr to be
"cshenton@mail.hq.nasa.gov", but "chris" (my local box with Gnus
account).

Why is it doing this? How can I prevent it?

I'm guessing it expects that if I use POP, I'd have to use an address
on the POP server's domain to relay mail.  But in this case I'm
slurping mail from multiple sources, not sending it out via POP.

Suggestions?