* mail expiry has gotten very slow recently
@ 2002-06-18 16:58 Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 2002-06-18 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm trying to understand why recent ("`cvs update' in the last couple
weeks") Oort is having such trouble getting out of mail groups.  For
one thing, it appears to be doing the job of expiry twice.  Here's a
set of messages that came out of exiting a group with 1
ready-to-be-expired article:

No more unread articles (exiting)...
Expiring articles...
Deleting article 17408 in tomb
Expiring articles in tomb
Expiry...done
Expiring articles...done
No more unread newsgroups
Returning to the group buffer
Expiring articles...
Expiring articles in tomb
Expiry...done
Expiring articles...done

Can anyone discuss what's been done to expiry lately?  I'm watching
XEmacs sit for as long as 5 seconds, seeming to do nothing, while
expiry-related messages sit in the minibuf.

* Re: mail expiry has gotten very slow recently
@ 2002-06-18 17:10 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2002-06-18 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Karl Kleinpaste <karl@charcoal.com> writes:

> I'm trying to understand why recent ("`cvs update' in the last couple
> weeks") Oort is having such trouble getting out of mail groups.  For
> one thing, it appears to be doing the job of expiry twice.  Here's a
> set of messages that came out of exiting a group with 1
> ready-to-be-expired article:
>
> No more unread articles (exiting)...
> Expiring articles...
> Deleting article 17408 in tomb
> Expiring articles in tomb
> Expiry...done
> Expiring articles...done
> No more unread newsgroups
> Returning to the group buffer
> Expiring articles...
> Expiring articles in tomb
> Expiry...done
> Expiring articles...done
>
> Can anyone discuss what's been done to expiry lately?  I'm watching
> XEmacs sit for as long as 5 seconds, seeming to do nothing, while
> expiry-related messages sit in the minibuf.

Expiring is done both in the Agent and in the backend now.  The agent
expiring isn't really efficient, but I hoped it wouldn't be too
noticable.  Splitting up gnus-agent-expire into smaller parts and
improving its efficiency would be good.

OTOH perhaps agent expiring simply shouldn't be performed when normal
expiring is performed?

* Re: mail expiry has gotten very slow recently
@ 2002-06-18 20:26   ` Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 2002-06-18 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Expiring is done both in the Agent and in the backend now.

I don't use the agent.  If the agent is involved at all in a non-agent
configuration, something is broken.

* Re: mail expiry has gotten very slow recently
@ 2002-06-18 20:36     ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2002-06-18 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Karl Kleinpaste <karl@charcoal.com> writes:

> Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> writes:
>> Expiring is done both in the Agent and in the backend now.
>
> I don't use the agent.  If the agent is involved at all in a non-agent
> configuration, something is broken.

What is your value of gnus-agent-cache and gnus-agent?

* Re: mail expiry has gotten very slow recently
@ 2002-06-18 20:56       ` Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 2002-06-18 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

> What is your value of gnus-agent-cache and gnus-agent?

$#!+   t and t.

WTF?  The agent is enabled *by default*?  I have *never* wanted the agent.

Setting them both to nil now...

* Re: mail expiry has gotten very slow recently
@ 2002-06-18 21:29         ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2002-06-18 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Karl Kleinpaste <karl@charcoal.com> writes:

> Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> writes:
>> What is your value of gnus-agent-cache and gnus-agent?
>
> $#!+   t and t.
>
> WTF?  The agent is enabled *by default*?  I have *never* wanted the agent.
>
> Setting them both to nil now...

This was changed recently... The agent is used for client side NOV
caching to improve speed, there shouldn't be any other noticable
difference.  If it turns out to be, the default can be reverted.  I'll
try to improve gnus-agent-expire so it works better.