* [Elizabeth Swanson <beth@cray.com>] Cray Press Release 4/29/02
@ 2002-04-30 16:36 Ted Stern
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Ted Stern @ 2002-04-30 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

The following email makes my just-updated CVS gnus crash every time I try to
read it.

As with my C-d non-digesting problem, I hope this is repeatable by somebody
else and not just a peculiarity of my setup.

Ted
--
 Ted Stern                           Engineering Applications
 Cray Inc.                                http://www.cray.com

Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 08:03:35 -0700
To: cray_all@cray.com, contractors_all@cray.com
From: Elizabeth Swanson <beth@cray.com>
Subject: Cray Press Release 4/29/02
Sender: owner-cray_all@cray.com

CRAY INC. ANNOUNCES PROFESSIONAL SERVICES CONTRACT WITH APPLIED TECHNICAL
SYTEMS, INC.

Cray to Extend CCM Data Mining Technology to Supercomputing Platforms

SEATTLE (April 30, 2002) – Global supercomputer leader Cray Inc. (Nasdaq
NM: CRAY) today announced that it has entered into a professional services
contract with Applied Technical Systems, Inc. (ATS) headquartered in
Silverdale, Washington. The contract’s goal is to link ATS’s patented data
mining system, the Contiguous Connection Model, to supercomputer
power.  The contract, estimated to be worth more than $800,000, calls for a
full-time Cray professional services team comprised of computer scientists
and applications experts to work on this project for a year, and contains
provisions for follow-on work.

“Our patented Contiguous Connection Model (CCM) is an advanced correlation
engine which automatically extracts hidden and obscure relationships from
any source of free text, such as the Internet, corporate document stores
and existing databases,” said ATS president Brian Welter.  “CCM
automatically discovers and stores the inherent relationships hidden in the
information being analyzed. The result is a relevancy maximized information
set that can be easily browsed or searched.  Additionally, the persistently
stored relationships result in virtually instantaneous information
retrieval. For example, we developed a product for law enforcement agencies
that enables investigators to gather information from multiple disparate
sources, such as credit reports, NCIC reports and telephone records, into a
single searchable information store which automatically reveals important
unexpected relationships.”

“Our work with Cray involves developing an application for agencies of the
U.S. Department of Defense based on our technology that will enable them to
correlate and analyze information from a variety of sources,” added
Welter.  “Currently we are limited to single-processor systems and
relatively low volumes of data.  We are excited to work with Cray to extend
this application to supercomputer platforms, and are particularly
interested in the large shared memory and high bandwidth attributes of the
Cray MTA-2(TM) system,” said Welter.

Added Kevin Rogers, Cray’s professional services practice leader: “This is
an excellent example of how Cray’s expertise in the design and development
of supercomputer applications, as well as hardware, can assist other
companies in developing true HPC solutions.  With ATS, we will help
redesign and implement the CCM system to be more modular, scalable,
portable and extensible.  While our work will be platform independent, we
will look closely at the attributes of the MTA-2 system as well as other
viable platforms for future development,” added Rogers.

“Cray is dedicated to advancing supercomputing architecture and
applications,” added Cray president Jim Rottsolk.  “The collaboration with
ATS demonstrates how we can combine two high performance technologies and
produce powerful results that benefit both companies.”

About Applied Technical Systems, Inc.
ATS is a technology company located in Silverdale, Washington, with
regional offices in Seattle and Washington D.C.  ATS specializes in
creating information management and knowledge discovery systems based on
its patented technology, the Contiguous Connection Model.  See
www.apptechsys.com for more information about ATS.

About Cray Inc.
Cray is the premier provider of supercomputing solutions for customers’
most challenging scientific and engineering problems.  Go to www.cray.com
for more information about the company.

Safe Harbor Statement
This press release contains forward-looking statements. There are certain
factors that could cause Cray’s execution plans to differ materially from
those anticipated by the statements above.  Among these factors are the
technical challenges of porting application systems to high performance
computer platforms, the risks in the development of high performance
computing systems, the limited market for third party application software
and general economic and market risks. For a discussion of these and other
risks, see “Factors That Could Affect Future Results” in Cray's 2001 Annual
Report on Form 10-K.

Cray is a registered trademark, and Cray MTA-2 is a trademark, of Cray Inc.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***NOTE*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
Subscribers to this alias are auto-generated several times a day based upon
employee and account data, and thus may not be completely accurate.  If you
wish to unsubscribe, or know someone who should be subscribed, please send
email to majordomo-owner@cray.com (please include the name of the alias)
and we will attempt to correct the problem promptly.  -Cray I/S
*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***NOTE*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***

-------------------- End of forwarded message --------------------

* Re: [Elizabeth Swanson <beth@cray.com>] Cray Press Release 4/29/02
@ 2002-04-30 16:54 ` Ted Stern
From: Ted Stern @ 2002-04-30 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hmm, I can't even reproduce the problem myself.  When I save the message to a
file, I am not able to read it as an nndoc group.

Incidentally, C-d works fine on my previous posting.

Ted
--

@ 2002-04-30 19:05 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2002-04-30 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Ted Stern <stern+gnus@cray.com> writes:

> The following email makes my just-updated CVS gnus crash every time I try to
> read it.

What does "crash" mean?  C-d on your mail and viewing the article
worked here.  Use M-x toggle-debug-on-error RET to get a backtrace
when something bad happens.

* Re: [Elizabeth Swanson <beth@cray.com>] Cray Press Release 4/29/02
@ 2002-05-08  7:59 ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2002-05-08  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

> The following email makes my just-updated CVS gnus crash every time
> I try to read it.

The charset is a bit bogus.  The message has dumbquotes in it.