* nnimap, sll and timeouts
@ 2003-04-10 12:37 Frank Schmitt
From: Frank Schmitt @ 2003-04-10 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello

I've got the following problem: Im using nnimap via ssl with the
following config:

(add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
               '(nnimap "" (nnimap-address "mail.host.net")(nnimap-stream ssl)))

My problem is that after some time, the remote server drops the
connection but Gnus doesn't recognize this (probably because the ssl
connection is still open).

So if I want to check for new mail, I've got to change to server buffer,
close connection and reopen it.

Any clever solution for my problem? I guess more people than just me run
into it. (At least one guy at #mygnus at irc.my.gnus.org does .-))

--
"You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy,
the best golfer is a black guy, France is accusing the US of arrogance,

* Re: nnimap, sll and timeouts
@ 2003-04-10 23:24 ` Kevin Greiner
From: Kevin Greiner @ 2003-04-10 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Frank Schmitt <usereplyto@Frank-Schmitt.net> writes:

> Hello
>
> I've got the following problem: Im using nnimap via ssl with the
> following config:
>
> (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
>                '(nnimap "" (nnimap-address "mail.host.net")(nnimap-stream ssl)))
>
> My problem is that after some time, the remote server drops the
> connection but Gnus doesn't recognize this (probably because the ssl
> connection is still open).

The status of the socket will not update until you actually try to do
I/O on it.

> So if I want to check for new mail, I've got to change to server buffer,
> close connection and reopen it.
>
> Any clever solution for my problem? I guess more people than just me run
> into it. (At least one guy at #mygnus at irc.my.gnus.org does .-))

Some nntp servers have similar problems (i.e. they drop idle
connections).  You might want to look at nntp-with-open-group.  Of
course, even if it is what you need, you'll have quite a bit of work
ahead to incorporate it into nnimap.

Kevin

* Re: nnimap, sll and timeouts
@ 2003-04-12 16:04 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2003-04-12 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Frank Schmitt <usereplyto@Frank-Schmitt.net> writes:

> Hello
>
> I've got the following problem: Im using nnimap via ssl with the
> following config:
>
> (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
>                '(nnimap "" (nnimap-address "mail.host.net")(nnimap-stream ssl)))
>
> My problem is that after some time, the remote server drops the
> connection but Gnus doesn't recognize this (probably because the ssl
> connection is still open).
>
> So if I want to check for new mail, I've got to change to server buffer,
> close connection and reopen it.
>
> Any clever solution for my problem? I guess more people than just me run
> into it. (At least one guy at #mygnus at irc.my.gnus.org does .-))

Why is the ssl connection still open?  Shouldn't it notice that the
remote server died and abort?  Investigating why that doesn't happen,
and whether it is a bug or intended behaviour would be useful.

You could also try installing GnuTLS and change nnimap-stream to tls.
Making sure the TLS setting works smooth is probably better than
spending time on the SSL stuff.