* [Bug?] Content-Transfer-Encoding with mutibyte language mail message
@ 2003-03-09 18:33 Steven Woody
From: Steven Woody @ 2003-03-09 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Some mail messages can not recognized by Emacs with following
attributes combined:

    Charset: gb2312

Chinese charactars in this kinda message dont display properly. If the
"Content-Transfer-Encoding" set to Base64, the problem dispeared.

Is there any workaround here?

--
I've found my niche.  If you're wondering why I'm not there, there was
this little hole in the bottom ...

* Re: [Bug?] Content-Transfer-Encoding with mutibyte language mail message
@ 2003-03-09 18:51 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2003-03-09 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Steven Woody <steven@steven4u.net> writes:

> Some mail messages can not recognized by Emacs with following
> attributes combined:

>     Charset: gb2312
>
> Chinese charactars in this kinda message dont display properly. If the
> "Content-Transfer-Encoding" set to Base64, the problem dispeared.

Is the body of the message quoted-printable or base64 encoded?

> Is there any workaround here?

Perhaps Article -> MIME -> Base64 works.

* Re: [Bug?] Content-Transfer-Encoding with mutibyte language mail message
@ 2003-03-10  3:19   ` Steven Woody
From: Steven Woody @ 2003-03-10  3:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Steven Woody <steven@steven4u.net> writes:
>
>> Some mail messages can not recognized by Emacs with following
>> attributes combined:

>>     Charset: gb2312
>>
>> Chinese charactars in this kinda message dont display properly. If the
>> "Content-Transfer-Encoding" set to Base64, the problem dispeared.
>
> Is the body of the message quoted-printable or base64 encoded?
quoted-printable

>> Is there any workaround here?
>
> Perhaps Article -> MIME -> Base64 works.

what this mean? I run emacs under remote console, menu is n/a. :(

--
"What's the use of a good quotation if you can't change it?"
		-- Dr. Who

* Re: [Bug?] Content-Transfer-Encoding with mutibyte language mail message
@ 2003-03-10 12:58     ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2003-03-10 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Steven Woody <steven@steven4u.net> writes:

> Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> writes:
>
>> Steven Woody <steven@steven4u.net> writes:
>>
>>> Some mail messages can not recognized by Emacs with following
>>> attributes combined:

>>>     Charset: gb2312
>>>
>>> Chinese charactars in this kinda message dont display properly. If the
>>> "Content-Transfer-Encoding" set to Base64, the problem dispeared.
>>
>> Is the body of the message quoted-printable or base64 encoded?
>
> quoted-printable

Can you forward the entire message (preferably as a gzip'ed single
message file to avoid triggering encoding bugs again)?  It seems weird
that it works better if Gnus is instructed to base64 decode non-base64
encoded data.

Hm.  What does "don't display properly" mean more specifically?  What
is displayed?

>>> Is there any workaround here?
>>
>> Perhaps Article -> MIME -> Base64 works.
>>
> what this mean? I run emacs under remote console, menu is n/a. :(

`W 6', or gnus-article-de-base64-unreadable.  I think you can press
F10 to access the menu even on tty's.

Are you sure emacs can display chinese in gb2312 on the tty?

* Re: [Bug?] Content-Transfer-Encoding with mutibyte language mail message
@ 2003-03-10 14:19       ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-03-10 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Can you forward the entire message (preferably as a gzip'ed single
> message file to avoid triggering encoding bugs again)?  It seems weird
> that it works better if Gnus is instructed to base64 decode non-base64
> encoded data.

I think when Steven said "if the CTE is set to base64" he meant that
the message is also encoded in base64.  I think he wanted to say that
Gnus groks base64-encoded messages, but not qp-encoded messages.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Steven.

* Re: [Bug?] Content-Transfer-Encoding with mutibyte language mail message
@ 2003-03-10 15:41         ` Steven Woody
From: Steven Woody @ 2003-03-10 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> writes:
>
>> Can you forward the entire message (preferably as a gzip'ed single
>> message file to avoid triggering encoding bugs again)?  It seems weird
>> that it works better if Gnus is instructed to base64 decode non-base64
>> encoded data.
>
> I think when Steven said "if the CTE is set to base64" he meant that
> the message is also encoded in base64.  I think he wanted to say that
> Gnus groks base64-encoded messages, but not qp-encoded messages.

Yes, that's exactly what mean yesterday. But, today ... I found even
base64-encoded html msg dont get a correct display :(  I'v uninstall
and reinstall all of those relative packages, and cant return back to the time
when I thought base64-encoded msg was okay!

I'v already posted a message on the group to describe my the current
problem in more detail. Please check that, thank you!

--
Acid -- better living through chemistry.