* nnimap problem with CVS HEAD Gnus
@ 2002-06-05  7:05 Ilpo Nyyssönen
From: Ilpo Nyyssönen @ 2002-06-05  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gnus is only able to find new mail in my main inbox after xemacs
startup. Restarting gnus or pressing g do not work. Also if I close
gnus and say M-x unload-feature nnimap and then start gnus again, it
is able to find the new mail that it was not able to find before that.

With other folders this does not happen, they work fine and gnus finds
the new mail.

My imap server is courier-imap and I currently run Gnus in xemacs from
CVS (-r DEV_QT_branch_point). I have had this problem for some time
now.

For more information, just ask. I read gnus.ding and the problem still
exists.

--
Ilpo Nyyssönen # biny # /* :-) */

* Re: nnimap problem with CVS HEAD Gnus
@ 2002-06-05 10:09 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2002-06-05 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On Wed, 5 Jun 2002, Ilpo Nyyssönen wrote:

> Gnus is only able to find new mail in my main inbox after xemacs
> startup. Restarting gnus or pressing g do not work. Also if I close
> gnus and say M-x unload-feature nnimap and then start gnus again, it
> is able to find the new mail that it was not able to find before that.
>
> With other folders this does not happen, they work fine and gnus finds
> the new mail.
>
> My imap server is courier-imap and I currently run Gnus in xemacs from
> CVS (-r DEV_QT_branch_point). I have had this problem for some time
> now.

Can you pinpoint the change?  This would be very useful.  (By going
backwards in time with cvs up -d DATE.)

Disable the following variables to see if they have any effect:
nnimap-retrieve-groups-asynchronous, gnus-agent, nnimap-nov-is-evil

Is there any output into *imap-log* when you press g?

* Re: nnimap problem with CVS HEAD Gnus
@ 2002-06-05 11:16   ` Ilpo Nyyssönen
From: Ilpo Nyyssönen @ 2002-06-05 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Disable the following variables to see if they have any effect:
> nnimap-retrieve-groups-asynchronous, gnus-agent, nnimap-nov-is-evil

Toggling nnimap-retrieve-groups-asynchronous does have an effect of
fixing it.

> Is there any output into *imap-log* when you press g?

Yes. ;)

--

@ 2002-06-05 12:35     ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2002-06-05 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

iny+news@iki.fi (Ilpo Nyyssönen) writes:

> Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> writes:
>
>> Disable the following variables to see if they have any effect:
>> nnimap-retrieve-groups-asynchronous, gnus-agent, nnimap-nov-is-evil
>
> Toggling nnimap-retrieve-groups-asynchronous does have an effect of
> fixing it.

Interesting.

Could you restart emacs, disable the variable, start gnus, kill
*imap-log*, press g, put some dummy text in *imap-log*, enable the
variable and press g, send yourself a mail, add some dummy text in the
buffer again, and press g again (now Gnus doesn't show you have new
mail, right?), put some dummy text in the *imap-log* buffer, then
disabling the variable and pressing g again (now the new mail is
shown, right?)? *phew*

I suspect that the IMAP server isn't updating the UIDNEXT value
properly.  If I see the log, perhaps I can understand if there is an
easy workaround.