* How does gnus count the parts?
@ 2000-05-02 19:00 Laura Conrad
From: Laura Conrad @ 2000-05-02 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

When the attached message is displayed, the xemacs mode line says "Re:
Third flutes, etc. (15 parts)"

When I sent it to the mailing list, I'm sure it only had one part, or
two if you think my .sig is a separate part.  I can't imagine that the
mailing list software would have added 13 invisible parts, so I
suspect the parts counting algorithm might be wrong.

This is cvs gnus from last week sometime:

head Changelog:

2000-04-22 20:25:20  Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen  <larsi@gnus.org>

        * GNUS-NEWS: Outline.

2000-01-06  Dave Love  <fx@gnu.org>

        * aclocal.m4 (AM_PATH_LISPDIR): Check for user's EMACS setting.

1999-11-13  Adrian Aichner  <aichner@ecf.teradyne.com>

        * xemacs.mak: New NMAKE file to support build and install on
        Windows NT.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2568 bytes --]

From: Laura Conrad <lconrad@world.std.com>
To: Multiple recipients of recorder-l <recorder-l@whatasite.pub.cornell.edu>
Subject: Re: Third flutes, etc.
Date: 02 May 2000 14:11:26 -0400

    >> So a Third Flute is in A; F - A (interval: third)

    Craig> This is what I thought, but the writer is speaking of
    Craig> Ab. Would that be a 2-1/2th flute?

No, it would be a third flute at A 415.  Or a fourth flute at A 394.
Or a G alto at A465.  (which people do actually make.)

--
Laura (mailto:lconrad@world.std.com , http://www.world.std.com/~lconrad/ )
(617) 661-8097	fax: (801) 365-6574

(For other commands and options send: help recorder-l)
     to: Macjordomo@whatasite.pub.cornell.edu

Laura (mailto:lconrad@world.std.com , http://www.world.std.com/~lconrad/ )
(617) 661-8097	fax: (801) 365-6574
233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139

* Re: How does gnus count the parts?
@ 2000-05-02 20:00 ` Laura Conrad
From: Laura Conrad @ 2000-05-02 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Laura> When the attached message is displayed, the xemacs mode
    Laura> line says "Re: Third flutes, etc. (15 parts)"

To followup -- gnus was in some state where it only incremented the
number of parts, and never made it smaller.  I went to a message with
32 parts, and after that, every article was displayed with 32 parts in
the mode line.

I got out of xemacs, updated gnus from CVS, and the modeline parts
counts are much more reasonable now.