* decode-coding-region
@ 1998-09-03 14:56 Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1998-09-03 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

FYI, decode-coding-region and encode-coding-region also thrash the
extents under XEmacs.  If you need a workaround for that, please let
me know.

--
Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> | Student at FER Zagreb, Croatia
--------------------------------+--------------------------------

* Re: decode-coding-region
@ 1998-09-03 20:44 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-09-03 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> writes:

> FYI, decode-coding-region and encode-coding-region also thrash the
> extents under XEmacs.  If you need a workaround for that, please let
> me know.

It would be nice to preserve the extents.

* Re: decode-coding-region
@ 1998-09-04 12:09   ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1998-09-04 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> writes:
>
> > FYI, decode-coding-region and encode-coding-region also thrash the
> > extents under XEmacs.  If you need a workaround for that, please let
> > me know.
>
> It would be nice to preserve the extents.

You might want to try something like this until we fix the primitives:

(defmacro gnus-xmas-preserve-extents (&rest body)
  (let ((extents (gensym "extents-")))
    `(let (,extents)
       (map-extents (lambda (extent ignored)
		      (push (list extent
				  (extent-start-position extent)
				  (extent-end-position extent))
			    ,extents)
		      (detach-extent extent)
		      nil)
		    buffer start end)
       ,@body
       (dolist (extent ,extents)
	 (set-extent-endpoints (first extent) (second extent) (third extent))))))

(defun gnus-xmas-decode-coding-region (start end coding-system &optional buffer)
  "Like decode-coding-region, but preserves extents."
  (gnus-xmas-preserve-extents
   (decode-coding-region start end coding-system buffer)))

(defun gnus-xmas-encode-coding-region (start end coding-system &optional buffer)
  "Like encode-coding-region, but preserves extents."
  (gnus-xmas-preserve-extents
   (encode-coding-region start end coding-system buffer)))

However, this will fail to work correctly when the decoding changes
the number of characters, because the extent indices will not be
preserved correctly.

--
Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> | Student at FER Zagreb, Croatia
--------------------------------+--------------------------------
Thou Who might be our Father Who perhaps may be in Heaven...
                                                -- Roger Zelazny

* Re: decode-coding-region
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-09-04 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> writes:

> However, this will fail to work correctly when the decoding changes
> the number of characters, because the extent indices will not be
> preserved correctly.

Decoding iso-2022-jp, for instance, will change the number of chars,
so I don't know how useful this approach is...

* Re: decode-coding-region
@ 1998-09-04 16:49       ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1998-09-04 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> writes:
>
> > However, this will fail to work correctly when the decoding changes
> > the number of characters, because the extent indices will not be
> > preserved correctly.
>
> Decoding iso-2022-jp, for instance, will change the number of chars,
> so I don't know how useful this approach is...

Pretty useless I guess.  I'll try to make the functions do the right
thing, then.

--
Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> | Student at FER Zagreb, Croatia
I luv the smell of nature in the morning.  Smells like manure!