* Download Gnus-button
@ 1997-04-26 15:10 Edvard Majakari
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Edvard Majakari @ 1997-04-26 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Being the Greatest Newsreader Unprofitably Scribbled
I thought to sketch a 'download-gnus-now button. It's
available at http://lodge.ton.tut.fi/~ed/pics/buttons/gnus.gif
and seen in use at URL below :)

Comments are welcome...
--
//Ed               GSM: 040 5082327     URL: http://lodge.ton.tut.fi/~ed/

Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the
 fulfilling of the law.
 -- Rom 13:10

* Re: Download Gnus-button
@ 1997-04-26 19:35 ` Jason R. Mastaler
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Jason R. Mastaler @ 1997-04-26 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Edvard Majakari <ed@a41a.otanner.ton.tut.fi> writes:

> Being the Greatest Newsreader Unprofitably Scribbled
> I thought to sketch a 'download-gnus-now button. It's
> available at http://lodge.ton.tut.fi/~ed/pics/buttons/gnus.gif
> and seen in use at URL below :)
>
> Comments are welcome...

Looks good.  Perhaps it would fit nicely somewhere on the Gnus homepage..

--
Jason R. Mastaler                                 jason@mastaler.com

* Re: Download Gnus-button
@ 1997-04-27  7:14 ` Steven L Baur
From: Steven L Baur @ 1997-04-27  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Edvard Majakari <ed@a41a.otanner.ton.tut.fi> writes:

> Being the Greatest Newsreader Unprofitably Scribbled
> I thought to sketch a 'download-gnus-now button. It's
> available at http://lodge.ton.tut.fi/~ed/pics/buttons/gnus.gif
> and seen in use at URL below :)

> Comments are welcome...

Cool.  I'll put it on my Gnus web page.
--
steve@miranova.com baur
Unsolicited commercial e-mail will be billed at $250/message.

* Re: Download Gnus-button
@ 1997-04-27  9:22 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-04-27  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Edvard Majakari <ed@a41a.otanner.ton.tut.fi> writes:

> Being the Greatest Newsreader Unprofitably Scribbled
> I thought to sketch a 'download-gnus-now button. It's
> available at http://lodge.ton.tut.fi/~ed/pics/buttons/gnus.gif
> and seen in use at URL below :)

:-)

> Comments are welcome...

Uhm...  The font seems a bit un-Gnusish.  And perhaps the "Gnus" could
be on top of the "5.4" banner, in some way?

* Re: Download Gnus-button
@ 1997-04-27 11:26   ` Edvard Majakari
From: Edvard Majakari @ 1997-04-27 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

 Lars> Uhm...  The font seems a bit un-Gnusish.  And perhaps the
 Lars> "Gnus" could be on top of the "5.4" banner, in some way?

Acknowledged. Err... do you have any suggestions for font? I have +300
fonts installed, but I don't know what would be Gnuish :)

The text 'Gnus' is a bit hard to put on the top of the banner, because
the font is already quite small.. moreover, this way it's more like
"download netscape now" button - though not that much like that
"download Linux 2.0" button I made.

The bg is white because www.gnus.org uses white bg. Red gnu itself is
just copied :->

But I do want to make it more like Lars likes, he's the author
anyway. Suggestions for font? I thought it'd be nice if the font was
somehow similar to that gnu.. that is, smooth, curved etc.

--
//Ed               GSM: 040 5082327     URL: http://lodge.ton.tut.fi/~ed/

And so there remain Faith, Hope, Love--these three; and of these the
 greatest is Love.
 -- 1st Cor. 13:13

* Re: Download Gnus-button
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-05-01 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Edvard Majakari <ed@a41a.otanner.ton.tut.fi> writes:

> Acknowledged. Err... do you have any suggestions for font? I have +300
> fonts installed, but I don't know what would be Gnuish :)

Me like Futura.  :-)

* Download Gnus-button
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1997-05-01 18:44 ` luis fernandes
From: luis fernandes @ 1997-05-01 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

This brings up interesting point about updating softwre packages that
do not ship as standard with emacs.

Having just upgraded to 19.34, I also updgraded VM, W3 and AUCTeX. I
had to resort to some tricks (grepping through the el files) to find
the home archives of these packages because I couldn't seem to find
my "locator" file which lists archives sites and their corresponding
packages.

I think it would be nice to have some sort of functionality
built-into emacs that would allow the upgrading of packages through
emacs (similar to the reporter package for reporting bugs). I
envision A sort of registry that all packages would register with
(when loaded into emacs) and then when the user typed "M-x
upgrade-package", a buffer containing a list of all registered
packages would appear and clicking on it would begin the download of
the latest package.

Is this too far fetched or am I just being lazy?

* Re: Download Gnus-button
@ 1997-05-01 21:38   ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1997-05-01 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

luis fernandes <elf@ee.ryerson.ca> writes:

> I think it would be nice to have some sort of functionality
> built-into emacs that would allow the upgrading of packages through
> emacs (similar to the reporter package for reporting bugs). I
> envision A sort of registry that all packages would register with
> (when loaded into emacs) and then when the user typed "M-x
> upgrade-package", a buffer containing a list of all registered
> packages would appear and clicking on it would begin the download of
> the latest package.
>
> Is this too far fetched or am I just being lazy?

Something like this is being discussed on the XEmacs mailing lists.
It would certainly be useful.

--
Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> | Student at FER Zagreb, Croatia