* resending selected messages.  Bug or feature (I say bug...:-( )
@ 1998-06-03  7:47 Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 1998-06-03  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yesterday a colleague of mine was going to resend a message that had
bounced to another address
	S D r

Unfortunately some ~40 messages in the summary buffer of that mail
group were selected (not with process marks, but *selected*), and Gnus
did a resend of all of them to a poor unwitting receipient.

Unfortunately I didn't discover that Gnus was the culprit until after
I had tried to put the blame on some user friendly program like
Outlook, so I feel a bit embarrased.

I tested out that this "feature" is a part of 5.6.9 as well.  I think
this is a dangerous and confusing mis-feature and should be removed.

Just my 15 øre...

- Steinar

* Re: resending selected messages.  Bug or feature (I say bug...:-( )
@ 1998-06-03 11:36 ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1998-06-03 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steinar Bang <sb@metis.no> writes:

> I tested out that this "feature" is a part of 5.6.9 as well.  I
> think this is a dangerous and confusing mis-feature and should be
> removed.

I think the feature is perfectly fine, and is a part of the
process/prefix convention.  Perhaps Gnus should warn about resending
more than one article?

--
Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> | Student at FER Zagreb, Croatia
--------------------------------+--------------------------------

* Re: resending selected messages.  Bug or feature (I say bug...:-( )
@ 1998-06-03 14:06   ` Edward J. Sabol
From: Edward J. Sabol @ 1998-06-03 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Excerpts from mail: (03-Jun-98) Re: resending selected messages.  Bug or feature (I say bug...:-( ) by Hrvoje Niksic
> Steinar Bang <sb@metis.no> writes:
>> I tested out that this "feature" is a part of 5.6.9 as well. I think this
>> is a dangerous and confusing mis-feature and should be removed.

> I think the feature is perfectly fine, and is a part of the
> process/prefix convention. Perhaps Gnus should warn about resending
> more than one article?

I agree that this is a cool feature. In fact, I was forced to use an old
version of Gnus the other day and I needed to resend a bunch of messages and
was forced to do them one at time because that ancient version of Gnus's
resend feature didn't support the process/prefix convention.

And no warning is necessary, please.

* Re: resending selected messages.  Bug or feature (I say bug...:-( )
@ 1998-06-03 14:57   ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 1998-06-03 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Steinar Bang <sb@metis.no> writes:
>> I tested out that this "feature" is a part of 5.6.9 as well.  I
>> think this is a dangerous and confusing mis-feature and should be
>> removed.

> I think the feature is perfectly fine, and is a part of the
> process/prefix convention.  Perhaps Gnus should warn about resending
> more than one article?

Definitely!

* Re: resending selected messages.  Bug or feature (I say bug...:-( )
@ 1998-06-03 15:24     ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1998-06-03 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Edward J. Sabol" <sabol@alderaan.gsfc.nasa.gov> writes:

> I agree that this is a cool feature. In fact, I was forced to use an
> old version of Gnus the other day and I needed to resend a bunch of
> messages and was forced to do them one at time because that ancient
> version of Gnus's resend feature didn't support the process/prefix
> convention.

You could have used `M-&' for that.

--
Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> | Student at FER Zagreb, Croatia
--------------------------------+--------------------------------
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

* Re: resending selected messages.  Bug or feature (I say bug...:-( )
@ 1998-06-04  0:06 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-06-04  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steinar Bang <sb@metis.no> writes:

> Unfortunately some ~40 messages in the summary buffer of that mail
> group were selected (not with process marks, but *selected*), and Gnus
> did a resend of all of them to a poor unwitting receipient.

What do you mean by "selected"?  In Gnuspeak, an article is selected
if it's displayed in the article buffer.  Since there is only one
article buffer per summary buffer (normally), I don't quite follow
your drift.

* Re: resending selected messages.  Bug or feature (I say bug...:-( )
@ 1998-06-04  0:38   ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1998-06-04  0:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Steinar Bang <sb@metis.no> writes:
>
> > Unfortunately some ~40 messages in the summary buffer of that mail
> > group were selected (not with process marks, but *selected*), and Gnus
> > did a resend of all of them to a poor unwitting receipient.
>
> What do you mean by "selected"?  In Gnuspeak, an article is selected
> if it's displayed in the article buffer.  Since there is only one
> article buffer per summary buffer (normally), I don't quite follow
> your drift.

He means their respective summary lines were highlighted by zmacs
region (the XEmacs equivalent of transient-mark-mode region).

--
Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> | Student at FER Zagreb, Croatia
--------------------------------+--------------------------------
What is mind?  No matter.
What is matter?  Never mind.

* Re: resending selected messages.  Bug or feature (I say bug...:-( )
@ 1998-06-04 14:29     ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 1998-06-04 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:

>> What do you mean by "selected"?  In Gnuspeak, an article is selected
>> if it's displayed in the article buffer.  Since there is only one
>> article buffer per summary buffer (normally), I don't quite follow
>> your drift.

> He means their respective summary lines were highlighted by zmacs
> region (the XEmacs equivalent of transient-mark-mode region).

Correct.

* Re: resending selected messages.  Bug or feature (I say bug...:-( )
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-06-24  4:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> writes:

> > > Unfortunately some ~40 messages in the summary buffer of that mail
> > > group were selected (not with process marks, but *selected*), and Gnus
> > > did a resend of all of them to a poor unwitting receipient.
> >
> > What do you mean by "selected"?  In Gnuspeak, an article is selected
> > if it's displayed in the article buffer.  Since there is only one
> > article buffer per summary buffer (normally), I don't quite follow
> > your drift.
>
> He means their respective summary lines were highlighted by zmacs
> region (the XEmacs equivalent of transient-mark-mode region).

Ah; right.  But that's what's supposed to happen, isn't it?

* Re: resending selected messages.  Bug or feature (I say bug...:-( )
@ 1998-06-24  5:02       ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1998-06-24  5:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > > What do you mean by "selected"?  In Gnuspeak, an article is selected
> > > if it's displayed in the article buffer.  Since there is only one
> > > article buffer per summary buffer (normally), I don't quite follow
> > > your drift.
> >
> > He means their respective summary lines were highlighted by zmacs
> > region (the XEmacs equivalent of transient-mark-mode region).
>
> Ah; right.  But that's what's supposed to happen, isn't it?

Exactly.

--
Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> | Student at FER Zagreb, Croatia
Mix 2 table spoons sugar with 1 spoon salt. Put it in a bottle and
stick a fuse into it. Say "Shit!" when it doesn't detonate.