* Scoring on Organization header?
@ 1997-03-21 20:17 Brent B. Powers
From: Brent B. Powers @ 1997-03-21 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm noticing that people are getting very fond of the Organization
header.  How much pain would it take to score on it without affecting
performance like Header would?

Cheers

* Re: Scoring on Organization header?
@ 1997-03-21 22:25 ` David Moore
From: David Moore @ 1997-03-21 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Brent B. Powers" <powers@ml.com> writes:

> I'm noticing that people are getting very fond of the Organization
> header.  How much pain would it take to score on it without affecting
> performance like Header would?

It'd be very painful if you have xover currently, since your nntp server
won't have that information and would have to go looking through all of
the files.

NOV databases and xover are great for speed, but that performance comes
at the price of not indexing all of the headers.

--
David Moore <dmoore@ucsd.edu>       | Computer Systems Lab      __o
UCSD Dept. Computer Science - 0114  | Work: (619) 534-8604    _ \<,_

* Re: Scoring on Organization header?
@ 1997-03-21 23:27 ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1997-03-21 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Brent B. Powers" <powers@ml.com> writes:

> I'm noticing that people are getting very fond of the Organization
> header.  How much pain would it take to score on it without affecting
> performance like Header would?

As far as I know, it's impossible to score on the organization header
without loss of performance, as it is not included in the servers' NOV
databases.

If you hacked your server to include `Organization' in its NOV
database, and hack NNTP/Gnus to recognize it, you'd be able to score
on it.

--
Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> | Student at FER Zagreb, Croatia