* incorrect behavior for the Sender field
@ 1996-12-10  2:26 Hunter Kelly
From: Hunter Kelly @ 1996-12-10  2:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

I know that there has been a lot of discussion about whether a user
should be allowed to change the "Sender" field, but that is irrelevant
to the problem that I am having.

Red Gnus 0.74 (and earlier versions -- I am not sure how far back this
has been happening) generates a sender field when it shouldn't be.

The mail that I am sending out has headers that look like this:

Sender: retnuh@pixar.com (Hunter Kelly)
Sender: retnuh@corona
To: retnuh@scam.XCF.Berkeley.EDU
Subject: test 7 methinks
From: Hunter Kelly <retnuh@corona.pixar.com>
Date: 09 Dec 1996 18:03:15 -0800

Notice that there are two lines that are "Sender".  I am not inserting
my own headers in any way.  The two occurances are causing messages to
get trashed in other mail readers, like Netscape 2.0.

I have no idea why it is generating the Sender field twice.  But the
second field is wrong, anyway.  Here are some relevant variables.

(message-make-sender)
"retnuh@corona"

(message-make-address)
"retnuh@corona.pixar.com"

(message-user-mail-address)
"retnuh@corona.pixar.com"

mail-host-address
"corona.pixar.com"

Now, in message-generate-headers, there is a block of code that looks
like this:

	(when (and from
		   (not (message-check-element 'sender))
		   (not (string=
			 (downcase
			  (cadr (mail-extract-address-components from)))
			 (downcase secure-sender)))
		   (or (null sender)
		       (not
			(string=
			 (downcase
			  (cadr (mail-extract-address-components sender)))
			 (downcase secure-sender)))))

I believe that the second string= is the wrong test.  It should be some form
of string match, because, as it has shown in my case, I am not
fiddling with the headers, but system-name does not return the FQDN.

This is really, really annoying, because certain people cannot read
mail I send them.  I think that either this needs to get fixed, so the
above behaves correctly, or Gnus should stop second-guessing the user
by insisting on a real Sender field.

Hunter

* Re: incorrect behavior for the Sender field
@ 1996-12-10 15:12 ` Rich Pieri
From: Rich Pieri @ 1996-12-10 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Rich Pieri <rich.pieri@prescienttech.com> | When eating out, think nothing of
      Prescient Technologies, Inc.        | sending back your meal twenty or

* Re: incorrect behavior for the Sender field
@ 1996-12-10 18:56   ` Hunter Kelly
From: Hunter Kelly @ 1996-12-10 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Gnus

Rich Pieri <rich.pieri@PrescientTech.com> writes:

> HK> Sender: retnuh@pixar.com (Hunter Kelly)
> HK> Sender: retnuh@corona
>
> Your MTA (the one on corona) is inserting the "first" header, which it
> should not do.  First, when "overwriting" an existing header, the
> existing header should be removed.  Second, Sender is supposed to
> somehow point back at the mailbox on the machine responsible for the
> initial submission to the network; in this case it is corona, or
> corona.pixar.com, unless pixar.com *is* corona.pixar.com (which it is
> not).
>
> So, I would look into getting your MTA fixed.  Since it is doing
> something broken, there is a good chance that it is doing quite a bit
> more that is broken.

You missed my point entirely.  Gnus should insert a Sender field that
is correct, ie retnuh@corona.pixar.com.  Inserting a field
retnuh@corona is totally useless.  And it shouldn't be inserting a
"Sender" field at all, because "retnuh@corona" is a totally valid
substring of "retnuh@corona.pixar.com", which is what the "From" field