* Lowering spam Subjects ending like: [ ]+[0-9]+$
@ 2000-12-13 14:29 Chris Shenton
From: Chris Shenton @ 2000-12-13 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Seems there has been some spam software out there that sends mail with
a subject then appends a bunch of spaces and then some presumably
unique tracking number to the end, like:

        Don't miss this $700 Give Away                         15817

Is there a way to get Gnus to recognize these (preferably in all
groups) and lower their score so I can skip over them? I've been doing
it manually for each one I see with gnus-summary-lower-score (L S) and
it's getting tiresome with the increase in spam.

My emacs regexp skills aren't stellar but I should be able to figure it out
if I know where to begin. Looking for a pattern that ends with (say)
16 or more spaces then 4-6 digits, then the end of line.

Thanks.

* Re: Lowering spam Subjects ending like: [ ]+[0-9]+$
@ 2000-12-13 15:26 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-12-13 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On 13 Dec 2000, Chris Shenton wrote:

> My emacs regexp skills aren't stellar but I should be able to figure
> it out if I know where to begin. Looking for a pattern that ends
> with (say) 16 or more spaces then 4-6 digits, then the end of line.

That's easy:

"        [0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9]?[0-9]?$"

This means at least four and at most six digits.  "[0-9]?" is an
optional digit, whereas "[0-9]" (without "?") is a mandatory digit.
I'm sure you can adjust the number of spaces easily enough.

kai

* Re: Lowering spam Subjects ending like: [ ]+[0-9]+$
@ 2000-12-16 23:43 ` Johan Kullstam
From: Johan Kullstam @ 2000-12-16 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Chris Shenton <cshenton@OutBounderInc.com> writes:

> Seems there has been some spam software out there that sends mail with
> a subject then appends a bunch of spaces and then some presumably
> unique tracking number to the end, like:
>
>         Don't miss this $700 Give Away                         15817
>
> Is there a way to get Gnus to recognize these (preferably in all
> groups) and lower their score so I can skip over them? I've been doing
> it manually for each one I see with gnus-summary-lower-score (L S) and
> it's getting tiresome with the increase in spam.
>
> My emacs regexp skills aren't stellar but I should be able to figure it out
> if I know where to begin. Looking for a pattern that ends with (say)
> 16 or more spaces then 4-6 digits, then the end of line.

i use this

((read-only t)
 ("subject"
  ;; auto spams
  ("  [0-9][0-9][0-9]+$" -10 nil r)))

this does 3 or more digits.  for me it seems to get rid of those
annoyance spammages.

--
J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
[kullstam@ne.mediaone.net]

* Re: Lowering spam Subjects ending like: [ ]+[0-9]+$
@ 2000-12-18 15:36   ` Chris Shenton
From: Chris Shenton @ 2000-12-18 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On 16 Dec 2000 18:43:57 -0500, "Johan Kullstam" <kullstam@ne.mediaone.net> said:

Johan> i use this

Johan> (("subject" ;; auto spams (" [0-9][0-9][0-9]+$" -10 nil r)))

Johan> this does 3 or more digits.  for me it seems to get rid of
Johan> those annoyance spammages.

Excellent, this is exactly what I'm looking for; I wasn't sure where I
could put regexps, whether they could coexist with my normal scoring.

Thanks!