* gmail+smtp: 587 yes 465 no
@ 2013-07-09  6:17 Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2013-07-09  6:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hello

In the last years I have used gnus+gmail+smtp without problems, using
the 587 port. Now I am in a place where the port 587 is closed but 465
is open (I tested it with thunderbird)

However I cannot use the 465 port with the following setting:

(setq feedmail-buffer-eating-function 'feedmail-buffer-to-smtpmail
         message-send-mail-function    'feedmail-send-it
         send-mail-function            'feedmail-send-it
         smtpmail-auth-credentials nil
         smtpmail-starttls-credentials nil
         smtpmail-debug-info t
         smtpmail-starttls-credentials '(("smtp.gmail.com" 465 nil nil))
         smtpmail-auth-credentials '(("smtp.gmail.com" 465 "oub@ucm.es"
nil))
         smtpmail-default-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com" ;before loading smtp
         smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com" ;Version:1.54
         smtpmail-smtp-service 465)

Does anybody use successfully use the 465 port and could send me his
setting?

Thanks

Uwe Brauer

* Re: gmail+smtp: 587 yes 465 no
@ 2013-07-09 13:26 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2013-07-09 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tue, 09 Jul 2013 09:17:14 +0300 Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> wrote:

UB> In the last years I have used gnus+gmail+smtp without problems, using
UB> the 587 port. Now I am in a place where the port 587 is closed but 465
UB> is open (I tested it with thunderbird)

UB> However I cannot use the 465 port with the following setting:

UB> (setq feedmail-buffer-eating-function 'feedmail-buffer-to-smtpmail
UB>         message-send-mail-function    'feedmail-send-it
UB>         send-mail-function            'feedmail-send-it
UB>         smtpmail-auth-credentials nil
UB>         smtpmail-starttls-credentials nil
UB>         smtpmail-debug-info t
UB>         smtpmail-starttls-credentials '(("smtp.gmail.com" 465 nil nil))
UB>         smtpmail-auth-credentials '(("smtp.gmail.com" 465 "oub@ucm.es"
UB> nil))
UB>         smtpmail-default-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com" ;before loading smtp
UB>         smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com" ;Version:1.54
UB>         smtpmail-smtp-service 465)

UB> Does anybody use successfully use the 465 port and could send me his
UB> setting?

The port number shouldn't matter.  Here's my ~/.authinfo.gpg (see
there's no port number):

machine smtp.gmail.com login tzz@lifelogs.com password mypassword

And then in .gnus.el:

          (setq smtpmail-smtp-service 587 ; change to 465 or whatever
                smtpmail-smtp-user "tzz@lifelogs.com"
                smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com"
                smtpmail-default-smtp-server smtpmail-smtp-server)

I hope that works for you.

Ted

* Re: gmail+smtp: 587 yes 465 no
@ 2013-07-14 15:44   ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2013-07-14 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz <at> lifelogs.com> writes:

> machine smtp.gmail.com login tzz <at> lifelogs.com password mypassword
>
> And then in .gnus.el:
>
>           (setq smtpmail-smtp-service 587 ; change to 465 or whatever
>                 smtpmail-smtp-user "tzz <at> lifelogs.com"
>                 smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com"
>                 smtpmail-default-smtp-server smtpmail-smtp-server)
>
> I hope that works for you.
>
> Ted

Hi

I think the problem is ssl vs starttls.
Because the 465 port does not work in Thunderbird when starttls is activated!

the setting (setq smtpmail-stream-type 'ssl)
is needed which is new (GNU emacs 24) not in Xemacs or in GNU emacs 23.

so I will try this out later.

Uwe