* Causing nnimap-authinfo-file variable to be recognized.
@ 2000-04-29 16:33 Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 2000-04-29 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm using the latest or near-latest CVS version of gnus.

I've decided to start using `nnimap' for a special-purpose newsgroup,
and I'm trying to make use of the `nnimap-authinfo-file' variable.
However, despite the fact that I have set this variable to contain the
name of a valid .netrc-type file containing the appropriate login
information for my imap server, Gnus insists on prompting me for the
user ID and password.

Is `nnimap-authinfo-file' even used within `nnimap'?  If so, how do I
configure `nnimap' in order to cause it to be used for authentication?

Thanks in advance.

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz@asfast.com

* Re: Causing nnimap-authinfo-file variable to be recognized.
@ 2000-04-29 17:23 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-04-29 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Maybe it's a server parameter and not a variable?

Did you put in the right server name?  If your server definition is
(nnimap "" (nnimap-address "blarfl")), you need to put in `machine
blarfl', but if your server definition is (nnimap "foo"
(nnimap-address "blarfl")), you want `machine foo'.

kai
--
Beware of flying birch trees.

* Re: Causing nnimap-authinfo-file variable to be recognized.
@ 2000-04-29 17:24 ` Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 2000-04-29 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:

> I'm using the latest or near-latest CVS version of gnus.
>
> I've decided to start using `nnimap' for a special-purpose newsgroup,
> and I'm trying to make use of the `nnimap-authinfo-file' variable.
> However, despite the fact that I have set this variable to contain the
> name of a valid .netrc-type file containing the appropriate login
> information for my imap server, Gnus insists on prompting me for the
> user ID and password.
>
> Is `nnimap-authinfo-file' even used within `nnimap'?  If so, how do I
> configure `nnimap' in order to cause it to be used for authentication?

Sorry, but I left out some key information:

I have the following code in my `.gnus.el' file:

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '(
	(nnimap "piximap"
		(nnimap-address "localhost")
		(nnimap-expunge-on-close 'ask)
                (nnimap-authinfo-file "~/.authinfo")
		)
	))

  (setq mail-sources
      '(
        (directory :path   "~/Mail/Groups/"  ;; From a procmail-like thing.
		   :suffix ".in")            ;; It works just fine.

	(imap :server      "localhost"       ;; From imap
	      :user        "userid"
	      :dontexpunge t)
      ))

  ;;; Should this be here, instead?  Doesn't work either way.
  ;;; (setq nnimap-authinfo-file "~/.authinfo")

Thanks again, in advance.

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz@asfast.com