* Article count not being updated for nnimap group.
@ 2000-05-15  2:08 Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 2000-05-15  2:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

This is a refinement of a question I posted a couple weeks ago here
about a problem I'm having with `nnimap'.  I'm using the latest or
near-latest CVS code for Gnus under XEmacs 21.1.9.

I have a rather vanilla `nnimap' group whose article count never gets
updated when I do a `gnus-group-get-new-news' (`g' in the Group
buffer).  The only times the article count gets updated are under the
following scenarios:

(1) When I first enter Gnus.

(2) I'm in the Group buffer when there's an asterisk (`*') next to the
    `nnimap' group.  I position the cursor to the `nnimap' group and
    type `gnus-group-read-group' (` ') immediately followed by
    `gnus-group-get-new-news'.  In this case, the article count
    indeed gets updated.

(3) There are already messages in the `nnimap' group, so I enter that
    group (via `gnus-group-read-group') and then type
    `gnus-summary-rescan-group' (`g') from within the Summary buffer.
    In this case, I see whatever new messages that might have shown up
    since the last time [actually, number 2 above is probably just a
    special case of this].

It seems that once `gnus-group-read-group' or
`gnus-summary-rescan-group' are called, some sort of state gets reset
so that the article count gets updated the next time
`gnus-group-get-new-news' is called.  But without either of these
`*-read-group' or `*-rescan-group' functions being called,
`gnus-group-get-new-news' never is able to update the message count.

It's almost as if the back end is never being accessed during
`gnus-group-get-new-news' for my `nnimap' group.

The only nnimap-related stuff in my `.gnus.el' is this:

  (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
        '(
	  (nnml "email"
	        (nnml-directory "~/Mail/")
	        (nnml-active-file "~/Mail/active")
	        (nnml-newsgroups-file "~/Mail/newsgroups")
	        (nnml-get-new-mail t)
	        )
	  (nnimap "myimap"
		  (nnimap-address "localhost")
		  )
	  ))

  (setq nnimap-authinfo-file "~/myimap/.authinfo")
  (setq nnimap-list-pattern '("INBOX"))
  (setq nnimap-debug "*nnimap-debug*")
  (setq imap-log "*imap-log*")

Is there something I'm missing in my `.gnus.el' that I would need in
order to cause my `nnimap' group to be queried for new messages during
the call to `gnus-group-get-new-news'?

By the way, no errors show up in neither the `*nnimap-debug*' buffer
nor in the `*imap-log*' buffer.

Thanks in advance for any light any of you might be able to shed on
this.

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz@asfast.com

only message in thread, other threads:[~2000-05-15  2:08 UTC | newest]