* Could `to-address' and `to-list' be functions?
@ 2001-01-10  3:43 Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 2001-01-10  3:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

The `gnus-group-parameters' variable contains a list of parameters,
one of which being `to-address' and another being `to-list'.  Each of
these parameters expect to be set via a string.  But I'm wondering if
perhaps in addition to this, they could also optionally be set via the
output of a user-specified function that would be run at the time
these parameters are evaluated.  This way, for a given group, I could
functionally determine the default `to' address based on various
heuristics, rather than having this be hard-coded per group.

What do you folks think of this idea?

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz@asfast.com

* Re: Could `to-address' and `to-list' be functions?
@ 2001-01-10 10:44 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-01-10 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

You could also do this from message-header-setup-hook or something and
check gnus-newsgroup-name there.  Is this good enough?
kai
--
Be indiscrete.  Do it continuously.

* Re: Could `to-address' and `to-list' be functions?
@ 2001-01-10 12:47   ` Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 2001-01-10 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

> You could also do this from message-header-setup-hook or something and
> check gnus-newsgroup-name there.  Is this good enough?

Well, if there was no other alternative, I'd settle for doing it this
way, since I do other newsgroup-specific things in a similar manner,
already.  However, having the option of `to-address' and `to-list'
being optionally set via the return value of a function would be
simpler and cleaner, IMHO.

If no one has any objection, I'll see over the next few days if I can
patch `gnus-cus.el' to enhance the processing of
`gnus-group-parameters' to add this functionality.

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz@asfast.com