* Compressing nnfolders..
@ 1996-02-13 17:35 Andy Eskilsson
From: Andy Eskilsson @ 1996-02-13 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have had some trouble with nnfolders, the reason to this trouble is
that I wanted compressed (through jka-compr) nnfolders to archive
memorizeable mail, and sgnus doesn't seem to do what I want it to do.

I seem to remember some discussion in this group before without
achieving any greater success, is there any work done to add the
ability to compress folders done? Some nncompress server or :-)

	/andy
--
 Don't walk in front of me, I might be unable to follow you.
 Don't walk after me, I might be unable to lead you.

* Re: Compressing nnfolders..
@ 1996-02-14 16:06 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
                     ` (3 more replies)
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-02-14 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andy Eskilsson <mpt95aes@pt.hk-r.se> writes:

> I have had some trouble with nnfolders, the reason to this trouble is
> that I wanted compressed (through jka-compr) nnfolders to archive
> memorizeable mail, and sgnus doesn't seem to do what I want it to do.

nnfolder uses the `raw' version of `find-file-noselect', which means
that it explicitly bypasses any of the find-file hook.  This was done
to avoid some terrible things that could happen, although I can't
remember exaclty what right now.

Perhaps the raw version also bypasses the jka-compr things?

* Re: Compressing nnfolders..
@ 1996-02-14 16:41   ` Stainless Steel Rat
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Stainless Steel Rat @ 1996-02-14 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Rat <ratinox@ccs.neu.edu>          \ Happy Fun Ball may stick to certain types
PGP Public Key: Ask for one today!  \ of skin.

* Re: Compressing nnfolders..
@ 1996-02-14 18:32     ` Joe Hildebrand
From: Joe Hildebrand @ 1996-02-14 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

> "Stainless" == Stainless Steel Rat <ratinox@ccs.neu.edu> writes:

   Stainless> You may or may not need to edit nnfolder.el; I suspect
   Stainless> you will as some edits are necessary in nnml.el (which I
   Stainless> use) to make things like expire and move work.  Any
   Stainless> regular expression that points to a file name will need
   Stainless> to be edited to include your compression extension(s).
   Stainless> nnml.el is easy; I use a simple script to do it for me:

With jka-aux and jka-compr, compressed nnml digests now work fine out
of the box, at least with sgnus 0.38.

See <URL:http://www.fuentez.com/ding/> for a nnml digestifyer.

--
Joe Hildebrand                  Fuentez Systems Concepts
hildjj@fuentez.com              11781 Lee-Jackson Hwy, Suite 700

* Re: Compressing nnfolders..
@ 1996-02-14 18:58 ` Andy Eskilsson
From: Andy Eskilsson @ 1996-02-14 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

/ Stainless Steel Rat <ratinox@ccs.neu.edu> wrote:

| LMI> Perhaps the raw version also bypasses the jka-compr things?
|
| - From jka-aux.el:

Warning jka-aux doesn't work with emacs 19.30 (I think the
incompability started around 19.28), the problem is that emacs tries
to find the loadup.el where emacs where compiled when using jka-aux.

I have reported this to the jka-aux author, he didn't have time to
check it, but he have heard about it.

	/andy

--

@ 1996-02-14 19:04   ` Andy Eskilsson
       [not found]   ` <lvenrx7n3z.fsf@ariel.pt.hk-r.se>
From: Andy Eskilsson @ 1996-02-14 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

[-- Attachment #0: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 694 bytes --]

It was something like nnfolders starting in cc-mode if they ended with
.cc.

| Perhaps the raw version also bypasses the jka-compr things?

Probably.....

Is there any possibility of doing some kind of compress-backend?

	/andy
--

@ 1996-02-14 19:05   ` Andy Eskilsson
       [not found]   ` <lvenrx7n3z.fsf@ariel.pt.hk-r.se>
From: Andy Eskilsson @ 1996-02-14 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

/ larsi@ifi.uio.no (Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen) wrote:

| nnfolder uses the `raw' version of `find-file-noselect', which means
| that it explicitly bypasses any of the find-file hook.  This was done
| to avoid some terrible things that could happen, although I can't
| remember exaclty what right now.

It was something like nnfolders starting in cc-mode if they ended with
.cc.

| Perhaps the raw version also bypasses the jka-compr things?

Probably.....

Is there any possibility of doing some kind of compress-backend?

	/andy
--
 Don't walk in front of me, I might be unable to follow you.
 Don't walk after me, I might be unable to lead you.
 Just walk by my side and be my friend.

--TAA20955.824324240/jupiter.pt.hk-r.se--

* Re: Compressing nnfolders..
       [not found]   ` <lvenrx7n3z.fsf@ariel.pt.hk-r.se>
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-02-15 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andy Eskilsson <mpt95aes@pt.hk-r.se> writes:

> It was something like nnfolders starting in cc-mode if they ended with
> .cc.

Ah, right.

> Is there any possibility of doing some kind of compress-backend?

There should be a way to use the jka-compr thingies.

* Re: Compressing nnfolders..
@ 1996-02-15 18:56       ` Stainless Steel Rat
From: Stainless Steel Rat @ 1996-02-15 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Rat <ratinox@ccs.neu.edu>          \ Caution: Happy Fun Ball may suddenly
PGP Public Key: Ask for one today!  \ accelerate to dangerous speeds.

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-02-15 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stainless Steel Rat <ratinox@ccs.neu.edu> writes:

> 2: Minor hackery in the backend .el files to expand the regular
>    expressions used in buffers filled with the output of 'ls', to
>    include a regular expression built out of jka-aux-extensions.
>    Normally this is a simple list, '(".gz" ".Z")', should not be too
>    difficult to turn into a regexp.  This is key, as the
>    jka-compr/jka-aux functions will not operate inside buffers.

nnml does this as of September 0.27.  You should be able to gzip all
articles in nnml directories.  It has been only lightly tested,
though.