* Ill-behavior when making follow-ups
@ 2002-03-26 20:24 Jens Müller
From: Jens Müller @ 2002-03-26 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

In the newest Oort, when you select an article in the Summary buffer
so that it is displayed, then put the text cursor on another article
and then mark text in the article itself and press F, the quoted text
comes from this article, but Subject: and References: are created
based on the one on which the cursor has been put in the Summary
buffer.

Is this really expected to work like that?

* Re: Ill-behavior when making follow-ups
@ 2002-03-26 21:48 ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2002-03-26 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jens Müller <jens@unfaehig.de> writes:

> In the newest Oort, when you select an article in the Summary buffer
> so that it is displayed, then put the text cursor on another article
> and then mark text in the article itself and press F, the quoted text
> comes from this article, but Subject: and References: are created
> based on the one on which the cursor has been put in the Summary
> buffer.
>
> Is this really expected to work like that?

Haaa .. So that is what has been biting me every once in a while.
I've had a few messages go out and appear on a group under a totally
different subject but carrying the text for a different message.

Posted here about it maybe a month or more ago.

It can be a little embarressing for a seasoned internet tropper to
have such a bongle happen.  There is another scenario that is a pita
side effect too.

If by one method or another you select some text before `F', but
didn't really intend to, you'll play hell getting rid of it.  C-x k
the resulting buffer, then you're back to square one.  You either have
to carefully reselect the entire message or move to a different
message and open it to shake the previous selection, then come back
and `F' again.

Saying C-h x may come to mind but then you capture what ever visible
headers there are too.

All and all I think the implementation is more trouble than its worth.
I liked it at first but find it causing more problems than it provides
convenience.

Can it be disabled?

At a minimum there should be a key combo to `unselect', to restore the
normal functioning of `F' where all but the headers is yanked.

* Re: Ill-behavior when making follow-ups
@ 2002-03-26 22:02   ` Derrell.Lipman
From: Derrell.Lipman @ 2002-03-26 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> At a minimum there should be a key combo to `unselect', to restore the
> normal functioning of `F' where all but the headers is yanked.

How about 'f C-c C-y'?

Derrell

* Re: Ill-behavior when making follow-ups
@ 2002-03-27  0:33     ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2002-03-27  0:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Derrell.Lipman@UnwiredUniverse.com writes:

>> At a minimum there should be a key combo to `unselect', to restore the
>> normal functioning of `F' where all but the headers is yanked.
>
> How about 'f C-c C-y'?

Yup.. that helps
Doesn't really solve the problem of runaway grabbing of text, but at
least provides a way to get to a normal situation.